Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

asriniva33
Frequent Visitor

Issue with DATEADD function in Direct Query Mode

Hi ,

I am working in Direct Query Mode . And i wanted to shift my date column say by "2 days".  When using DATEADD function, I am getting an error "DATEADD function is not allowed as part of calculated column DAX expressions on DirectQuery models". Could anyone please let me know if there is a work around to establish this without using DATEADD function?

Regards,

Srinivas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@asriniva33

I can't find DATEADD in DirectQuery either, even with that option enabled. As a workaround, to shift date by days, try [date]+1/[date]-1. Or with DATE(YEAR([dateCol]),MONTH([dateCol]),Day([dateCol])+1) by Year, Month, Day.

Thanks for your feedback, we will report and confirm this internally and would post back if there comes any update.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@asriniva33

In power bi desktop go to file, options and settings, options, direct query and make sure checkbox "Allow unrestricted measures under direct query" is ticked.

Hi Ankit,

I have tried that option too, but still its throwing the same error.

@asriniva33

I can't find DATEADD in DirectQuery either, even with that option enabled. As a workaround, to shift date by days, try [date]+1/[date]-1. Or with DATE(YEAR([dateCol]),MONTH([dateCol]),Day([dateCol])+1) by Year, Month, Day.

Thanks for your feedback, we will report and confirm this internally and would post back if there comes any update.

Hi @asriniva33 

I think i have a similar challenge as yours. I needed to find a Today()+5 To create an emergency tag/conditional formatting for a Due Date field. 

I was able to solve it following this steps -> 

1) I defined a Dax Measure for the Date +5 > 

Days for Due DATE = TODAY()+5

2) Once i was able to have that, i created a calculated column like this ->

Days after expiration = DATEDIFF([Days for Due DATE],TABLE[DueDate],DAY)

3) Having that difference i was able to create the formatting for the DueDate Column with the different colours

Hope this solution helps!
Francisco

@Eric_Zhang

Thanks for the workaround.

I am trying to create a calculated column for the "Month Names(Ex. January etc.)" from the exisiting Date Column using FORMAT function. But when i using FORMAT function,i am getting an error "FORMAT function not supported in Direct Query Mode". Could you please let me know if there is any way to create a calculated column for month names in Direct Query Mode.

@asriniva33

Try a calculated column as below.

Month= SWITCH(MONTH('Sales Currency'[ModifiedDate]),1,"Jan",2,"Feb",6,"Jun")

I am having a similar problem in that i want to move transactions that occure between 00:00:00 and 07:00:00 to the previous day and cannot using DIRECT QUERY. Did anyone find a work around?

I vae an issue also! On my case the function dont work

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.