Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Issue with Composite Model - Visuals not displaying for other users (“See details”)

I setup a DirectQuery connection to a dataset alongside my existing queries which are all Excel spreadsheets stored on SharePoint. There are some relationships between the DirectQuery source and my existing tables.

It works brilliantly in Desktop and when I published to the web and tested it worked fine for me there too.

The problem is no other users can see the visuals. All the visuals from the DirectQuery connetion show to them as “See details”:

powerbi.png

Clicking "See details" doesn’t give much info other than error codes:

Activity ID: c397df29-42d7-4641-abae-3f3444ce5c64
Request ID: 42f6f9d3-93a8-1f6d-9ddf-eefe945bc73b
Correlation ID: 6592c02c-1b75-4c05-333f-2462a7c21394
Time: Wed Jan 20 2021 10:47:31 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time)

I find it strange that it works perfectly for me on desktop and when published, but there are issues when anyone else wants to view.

I suspected a permissions issue, and double checked the data source settings both in desktop and in my workspace and they’re all set to Organisational – like all the other queries that display just fine.

Another post here had the same problem with page filters, but I’ve turned those off and they won’t display to others (again works fine me both in desktop and published).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a fix?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is now solved. For posterity, the issue was to do with dataset permissions.

The dataset added into the composite model did not have the same users/groups as my existing dataset, hence users could not see the data and the visuals did not load.

Ensuring the nessessary users/groups are in both datasets solved the issue.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I setup a DirectQuery connection to a dataset alongside my existing queries which are all Excel spreadsheets stored on SharePoint (Composite Model) . There are some relationships between the DirectQuery source and my existing tables.

It works brilliantly and as expected in Desktop and when I published to the web and tested it worked fine for me there too.

The problem is no other users can see the visuals displaying data from the DirectQuery. All the visuals from the DirectQuery connection show to them as “See details”. For example:

powerbi.png

Clicking "See details" doesn’t give much info other than error codes:

Activity ID: c397df29-42d7-4641-abae-3f3444ce5c64
Request ID: 42f6f9d3-93a8-1f6d-9ddf-eefe945bc73b
Correlation ID: 6592c02c-1b75-4c05-333f-2462a7c21394
Time: Wed Jan 20 2021 10:47:31 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time)

I find it strange that it works perfectly for me on desktop and when published, but there are issues when anyone else wants to view.

I suspected a permissions issue and double checked the data source settings both in desktop and in my workspace and they’re all set to Organisational – like all the other queries that display just fine.

Another post here suggested it could be to do with page filters, but I’ve turned those off and the visuals still won’t display to others (again works fine for me both in desktop and published).

Does anyone have any suggestions of where to try next for a fix?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , is this a custom visual or standart power bi visual ?

Please clear the browser cache and try.

Anonymous
Not applicable

All except one are out of the box standard Power BI visuals.

There is one custom OKVIZ card and I have a licence for that.

None of them display and all show "See details".

@Anonymous , Have you configured the gateway. As direct query might not be getting data because of that.  I am getting this as doubt

Gateway
https://radacad.com/the-power-bi-gateway-all-you-need-to-know

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is now solved. For posterity, the issue was to do with dataset permissions.

The dataset added into the composite model did not have the same users/groups as my existing dataset, hence users could not see the data and the visuals did not load.

Ensuring the nessessary users/groups are in both datasets solved the issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a gateway configured and I can see the data fine, it is loading correctly and as expected.

The issue is anyone other than me cannot see it!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.