Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

timhopson
Helper I
Helper I

Issue when publishing report that uses shared dataset

I have 3 reports that share the same dataset. The reports and dataset all reside in the same new experience workspace.

The problem I'm having is when I make changes to these reports from PBI Desktop and republish, I get a new version of the report which also has its own dataset. The original report remains unchanged still linked to the shared dataset. 

Is this expected behaviour? I've not yet found anything online that describes what I'm experiencing. I'd really appreciate some help.

The steps I follow are:

1. Open report in PBI Service and download the .pbix file.

2. Open the .pbix file locally using PBI Desktop and make my changes to visualations. I'm not (as far as I know) making changes to the data model.

3. Click PUBLISH, select the current workspace.

Result

- A new version of the report appears in the workspace along with its own new dataset.

- the original report remains unchanged still linked to its shared dataset

I can make minor edits to the reports using the online editor in PBI Service. That works fine. I simply save the report.

9 REPLIES 9
qbit717
Regular Visitor

Not sure if this got solved in the end...but thought to put something down as I had the same issue. @timhopson my BI service setup is exactly the same.

One dataset - 3 reports. I managed to update the reports by downloading the dataset and modifying the default (or original) report that gets downloaded with it (one of the 3). When I republished, it updated the dataset in BI Service - BI service took a bit of time (5min-10min) to sync the changes across to the other two reports connected to the same dataset. 

The other reports have different filters set from the report that was downloaded with the dataset, but luckily the way the filters work in those reports, doesn't require further change. 

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @timhopson,

Don't know how you have setup your reports, but if you are publishing a new version of the report are you making changes to the name?

You need to make the upload of the report with the exact same name and it will ask you to overwrite the databsase you say yes and you will keep the same database and not create a new one.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Hi Miguel, thank you for taking the trouble to reply. 

One of my reports for example is called Stock Management. This uses a dataset which is called 'COVID-19 Orders'.

I just tried the following...

1. I opened the Stock Management report in PBI Service and selected the option to download the .pbix file

2. This was downloaded and had the same name as the report.

3. I opened the pbix file in PBI desktop and made no changes but simply clicked PUBLISH

4. It asked me to confirm the workspace

5. It didn't ask me to replace the dataset.

The result is that I get a new data set and report with exactly the same name as the original report....

Hi @timhopson ,

Did you rename your reports on the web service or did you create them on the web service?

You need to publish with the same name of the database.

Another option when creating new reports is to use the Power BI datasets that way the connection will be made directly to the dataset and you will not get the same issue, again this is for new reports.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Thanks again for helping Miguel,

I created the reports on BI Service by using Save Copy from an original report I created that had its own dataset. When I use VIEW RELATED, it shows me the copied report is linked to the dataset.

Are you saying the only way to publish a report from desktop is by renaming it to the name of the dataset, publish it, and then possibly renaming the report back to what it was. I can see the logic but I wonder whether it's how the designers intended. e.g. if you already had a report that used the name of the dataset, it would get complicated. 

re your second point about creating new reports from the dataset. Are you saying that if I create a new report from scratch rather than by using SAVE COPY, I won't run in to this problem?

Thanks, Tim.

Hi @timhopson ,

The way it works is exactly that, so when you have a report and publish it the name of the dataset is the same as of the report so when you make a copy and renamed it in the service the link is correct because it's based on the dataset you have online however when you download it, since the database is not connected to the dataset anymore when publish gives a new dataset.

Be aware that this behaviour is for offline datasets (the ones that you upload from a dataset on your commputer or simiar) that for updating you need to make a new upload of the dataset.

For online datasets (Power BI datasets, dataflows, onedrive files and so on) since they are connected to an online source when you publish them the dataset created is connected to the service so the new upload of reports will link to those datasetss and not duplicate them.

As a best practice if you are building reports based on existing datasets (with manual upload) you should create them using the Power BI dataset, be aware that this is a directquery so on the new report you will not be abble to change the query, but a positive part is that if you make changes to your database all reports based on that dataset will be updated accrodingly.

If you are using excel files or CSV I would advise you to make the save on the onedrive for example.

Check the documentation about datasets to understand a little bit better how they are saved.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-datasets-understand

Regards

Miguel Félix

Thank you Miguel. That's very helpful.

@MFelix I spoke too soon.

Something very wierd is happening...

Let's say I have the following 3 reports in my workspace which share the dataset

- DS - database

- report 1

- report 2

- report 3

I made a change to report 1 in PBI desktop. I renamed the PBIX file from Report 1 to DS and then published it, replacing the existing DS dataset.

The outcome was that

- no new report was created called DS

- the content of my Report 3 was replaced with my DS report. I therefore lost my Report 3. 

Hi @timhopson ,

This is strange, for my previous experience, when overwritting reports I don't "loose" other reports just the one that I overwrite.

I have to try and see if I can have that behaviour also.

In meanwhile maybe you can post in the issues part of the forum and check what microsoft has to say.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors