Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Daemetius
Helper II
Helper II

Issue trying to replace values in table

Greetings,

I have an issue where I'm trying to replace some null values with string on filtered rows where there are 0 on a column. Whenever I apply my replaced values, the filtered icon on the column disappaearsa snd I'm stuck with the new filtered rows.

How can I prevent this? 

Here the Folder column has filtered rows active

part1.PNG

I replace the null values on Type with a a string like MMMM for example and after I hit okay the filter icon on the Folders column disappears

part2.PNG

Any help would be greatly appreciataed. Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

Power Query is not the same as Excel. The main difference is that values are actualy never changed in Power Query: if you filter on a column, then a new table (identified by the step name) is created and the values that were filtered out are just gone. They are still available in the table that is identified by the previous step.

In Excel: filtered data s still available, but only hidden.

For cosmetic reasons, Power Query displays a "filtered" icon, but only when the step is selected in which the filtering takes place.

When you select any subsequent step, then the "filtered"  icon becomes a down-pointing triangle.

It doesn't mean that the filtered data is back. It is just cosmetic.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

@MarcelBeug wrote:

Power Query is not the same as Excel. The main differnce is that values are actualy never changed in Power Query: if you filter on a column, then a new table (identified by the step name) is created and the values that were filtered out are just gone. They are still availbale in the table that is identified by the previous step.

In Excel: filtered data s still available, but only hidden.

For cosmetic reasons, Power Query displays a "filtered" icon, but only when the step is selected in which the filtering takes place.

When you select any subsequent step, then the "filtered"  icon becomes a down-pointing triangle.

It doesn't mean that the filtered data is back. It is just cosmetic.

But if I click apply and close so that the values are reflected on the visuals, then it's just gonna show me the latest table (step as you mentioned) and not the original table with the newly replaced values which is what I am trying to do. 

I'm getting a report automatically and I want to modify its content within powerbi desktop like replacing null values (since the report has those cells with images that aren't "imported" from the get source option. 

Hi, 

I’m having the same issue.  I’m filtering on column B and replacing values in column A, but I want to then remove the filter and I cannot figure out how to do so.

I don’t seem to be able to find anything similar online.

KR

Pete

Hello, I have the same problem, did anyone find a solution?

I'm having the same issue.

Filtering a column, replacing the values, but the no way to clear the filter before applying and closing.

We seem to be on different wavelengths.

A query produces one table (or something else, but let's stick to table), which is the table that is referenced by the step after "in" (which may include some transformation itself). This is usually the last step in your query.

In your case, that should be the table with the adjusted values.

I begin to suspect now that your step after "in" doesn't refer to the last step in your query.

If you want more tables, then you need more queries.

Alternatively, you can use parameters.

Hopefully, this helps, otherwise please provide some schreenshots with representative (fake) data to illustrate the issue.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.