Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Issue to login to the database

Hello,

I have  report connected to the database and when I am trying to get to the query editor I get the following message:

DataSource.Error: Microsoft SQL: Cannot open server "Server-name" requested by the login.  The login failed.

Details:

DataSourceKind=SQL

DataSourcePath=db1.windows.net;db1

Message=Cannot open server &server1; requested by the login.  The login failed.

Number=40532

Class=20

Can you please suggest ways to resolve this?

Many thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me, the solution was to go to Data Source Settings, then check Global Permissions. There were some connections that used old connection credentials. After removing them and adding a new connection, Power BI didn't auto-load them, but gave me the option to enter the correct credentials instead.

This worked for me, thank you so much!
Like you said, I simply cleared all my Azure SQL Data source permissions from Global Permissions and went to Get Data > Azure SQL > and tried again and worked. Thanks!!

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

If you have resolved your issue, welcome to share your own solution, and please mark the helpful/useful reply as answer if you have resolved it. More people will benefit from here.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi,

I'm facing the same issue. I'm able to connect through SSMS but not able to do it through PowerBI.

Through SSMS I select authentication option as "Active Directory - Password" and provide username and password.

Any help is appreciated. 

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

First,  please  check if you can connect to the server using SSMS, and if he uses correct connection string which contains server name, login name.

Second, please click File->Options and Setting->Data source settings, please select the datasource your reported used, then click Edit permissions, type correct database credential. You will connect the database without any problem.

From the error messsage, it means you can't login in the SQL Server, please resubmit it. In addition, I post a blog, hope it's useful for you.

Power BI Desktop privacy levels

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.