Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Issue opening .pbix file residing on a Sharepoint online site

I had been working on creating a report with Power BI Desktop on my OneDrive.  However, I need colleagues to be able to modify the report so uploaded the .pbix file to a Sharepoint folder.  After a few days, I was no longer able to open the file residing on SharePoint from Power BI Desktop.  I receive an Access Denied error.  I've noticed when hovering over the path of "recent items" a portion has been preceeded with @SSL\DAVWWWRoot and noticed it about the time the access issue started.  I had a similar issue occur with one of my queries, which was pulling data from an Excel file on the same SharePoint site.  For some reason, that same string appeared in the source file path and I could no longer connect to refresh data.  I was able to replace with the correct source path in query editor in that latter.  However, haven't been able to resolve the issue with the actual .pbix file location.  This includes pasting the file name/sharepoint path within the "filename" field of the Open dialogue box.  Any recommendation for resolution?

2 REPLIES 2
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Could you please check whether you can access to the site of share point?

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I can access the SharePoint site.  It is a project site collection, we've been using for years.  The issue is just with trying to open .pbix file with desktop.  Note: I was able to identify a resolution to "Sync" respective SharePoint folder, which generates a local copy.  I can then open that file with Power BI Desktop and update.  The updates will then sync to the master SharePoint version.  This actually a much better solution for my scenario where I have multiple users who could update the file.  It minimizes simultaneous user update issues, assuming SharePoint handles this in terms of managing synchronization.  I'm surprised this was not more clearly spelled out after searching online for 2-3 days.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.