Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

visakh16

Issue in Connecting to Remote SQLServer Instance from PowerBI Desktop

Hi Folks
I'm trying to connect to a SQLServer instance which resides in a AWS VM. I want to use this instance as a datasource for some of my report visualizations. I'm able to connect to the same instance from one of my other third party cloud based reporting tool though. I can confirm port is open and its receiving the inbound connections. Only thing I did different in other case was to whitelist the IPs provided by vendor. Do I need to do anything in similar for PowerBI desktop to connect to the cloud instance? Also I read about gateways but I guess its talking about connecting to On Premise instance so I think it may not help out here. Any help in solving this would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Visakh

4 REPLIES 4
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @visakh16,

Currently, do you encounter any issue when connecting to this VM? In order to connect to this VM, you need to add your IP address to whitelist as you did in your third party. 

After you published report to Power BI services, you need to use geteway to connect to your datasource. In this case, you need to add the IP address of the server that your geteway installed to whitelist.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Thanks Charlie for the quick response

Where do I need to whitelist my IP?

In the othercase it was the reverse, ie I whitelisted the third party IP which was given in the their site for inbound connections to my server. They had specified this as a step as a part of setting up the connection.

Where can I find similar IP for Power BI?

Hi visakh16,

Where can I find similar IP for Power BI?
As I said in the above,

After you published report to Power BI services, you need to use geteway to connect to your datasource. In this case, you need to add the IP address of the server that your geteway installed to whitelist.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

visakh16

Hi Folks

I'm trying to connect to a SQLServer instance which resides in a AWS VM. I want to use this instance as a datasource for some of my report visualizations. I'm able to connect to the same instance from one of my other third party cloud based reporting tool though. I can confirm port is open and its receiving the inbound connections. Only thing I did different in other case was to whitelist the IPs provided by vendor. Do I need to do anything in similar for PowerBI desktop to connect to the cloud instance? Also I read about gateways but I guess its talking about connecting to On Premise instance so I think it may not help out here. Any help in solving this would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Visakh

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.