Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PushkarP
Helper I
Helper I

Issue importing excel file in Power BI desktop

Hello,

I'm new to Power BI. This may sound very basic. However this is an issue I'm facing. 

I am working on a new Power BI report and trying to get data from an excel spreadsheet. I could import the file, and it was accidentaly deleted in the Power BI desktop, so I tried to load the same file again, however it failed to load and I see 'Please wait while we establish a connection to <filename>'. The excel file resides on my local machine and it is not a protected file. Please see attached screen capture for the message.

To my surprise I now see the same message for any of the excel file.

Can anyone help me with this.

Thank you in advance.

Pushkar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi @PushkarP - One thing you can do is that you can copy the script for the steps from the old file and apply to the new file. 

Sumanth_23_0-1601404442086.png

Sumanth_23_1-1601404553474.png

Also can you check in Query Editor and delete any reference to the old excel if they exist. 

Please mark the post as a solution and provide a 👍 if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
sreenub
Resolver II
Resolver II

Go to following path  and clear Permistions and try to connect Excel again

TransformData -> Data Source Settings 

No permossions for ecxel in there.

Sumanth_23
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

hi @PushkarP  - I do not see the screenshot in the below post. Also have you tried importing using a new BLANK Power BI desktop file? 

Please mark the post as a solution and provide a 👍 if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks!

GetDataExcel.JPG

Hi @Sumanth_23 ,

Sorry I missed it. Yes import works in a Blank Power BI desktop file. However as I have done some data trasformation in the current file I am trying to import the excel file in the current file as it will save a lot of rework.

hi @PushkarP - One thing you can do is that you can copy the script for the steps from the old file and apply to the new file. 

Sumanth_23_0-1601404442086.png

Sumanth_23_1-1601404553474.png

Also can you check in Query Editor and delete any reference to the old excel if they exist. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.