Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Issue converting date from JSON source

Hi all, 

As per the below screenshot, when I import a JSON file into Power BI, there is an issue with the formatting of the date. 

When I try and change the column to Date/Time using the 'Date Type' option in the column tools, I get the following erorr - 'We can't automatically convert the column to Date/Time type'. 

Please can anyone advise on the best way to achieve the date format of dd/mm/yyyy hh/mm. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Date format error converting.PNGIncorrect date format.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

You can add a custom column with below code in Power Query editor and use it to replace the original column. 

Date.FromText(Text.BeforeDelimiter([Last Start Date]," "))&Time.FromText(Text.AfterDelimiter([Last Start Date]," "))

21102504.jpg

Or if you want to transform the original column directly, it would be:

= Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type", {{"Last Start Date", each Date.FromText(Text.BeforeDelimiter(_," "))&Time.FromText(Text.AfterDelimiter(_," ")), type datetime}})

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

You can add a custom column with below code in Power Query editor and use it to replace the original column. 

Date.FromText(Text.BeforeDelimiter([Last Start Date]," "))&Time.FromText(Text.AfterDelimiter([Last Start Date]," "))

21102504.jpg

Or if you want to transform the original column directly, it would be:

= Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type", {{"Last Start Date", each Date.FromText(Text.BeforeDelimiter(_," "))&Time.FromText(Text.AfterDelimiter(_," ")), type datetime}})

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thank you for this! The top method works although ideally I would need to transform the original column. I can see the code pasted but how do I transform the column? 

@Anonymous 

See the formula bar above the table? You can click on "fx" to add a step and paste the code there. My previous step is "Changed Type", so I have it as the first variable in Table.TransformColumns() function. Replace it with your previous step name and don't forget the "#". You will see its previous step in the formula bar after clicking "fx".

21102601.jpg

BR,

Jing

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Here's one way to do it with a custom column.  Or you could adapt this formula into a custom transform column step.

= DateTime.From(Date.FromText(Text.BeforeDelimiter([DateTime], " "))) + Duration.FromText(Text.AfterDelimiter([DateTime], " "))

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , In power query try a new column

= Date.FromText([Date])

//Change data type to date

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/date-fromtext

In column format choose the format you want(Column tools)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.