Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AbbasAsaria90
Helper I
Helper I

Issue combining VAR and CALCULATE( ..., FILTER

I have a table called `pd_nb_leads`, which is a table of our sales leads. One of the columns is `Date deal created`, and another is `Deal Origin`.

I'm looking to create a graph showing the moving average of deals created in the last 28 days, which I can then manipulate with a slicer based on the entries in the column `Deal Origin`. The first step is returning for a given date, the number of deals created in the last 28 days

I originally made a calculated column in a date table but that was not affected by the slicer, which led me to believe a measure on the date table would be the best approach. For the date table I created the following two measures, which show the following values in a table with the Date field from the Date Table in the X axis

```
Leads created, day =
VAR currentDate =
average('X Axis: Day Created'[Date])
RETURN
CALCULATE(
COUNT(pd_nb_leads[Deals]),
FILTER(pd_nb_leads, (pd_nb_leads[Date deal created] = currentDate)))
```

```
Leads created, last 28 days =
VAR currentDate =
average('X Axis: Day Created'[Date])
RETURN
CALCULATE(
COUNT(pd_nb_leads[Deals]),
FILTER(pd_nb_leads, (pd_nb_leads[Date deal created] <= currentDate
&& pd_nb_leads[Date deal created] > currentDate - 28)))
```

VAR picture.PNG

It's counterintuitive to me that they both return the same value, and also strange that if you have the filter show something like `pd_nb_leads[Date deal created] > currentDate` - the measure returns blank in the table

How would I correct the measure `Leads created, last 28 days` ?

Thanks very much
Abbas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @AbbasAsaria90,

For your measure, if your CurrentDate variable is simply equal to the dates in the date column then you can simply write your formula as 

COUNT ( pd_nb_leads[Deals] )

because hen you place your Date colum and the Leads Created, day measure inside the table, the value that is being returned by the measure is being filtered by the value in the Date column. 

Now for your second measure, the same thing happens. It is being filtered by the value from the Date column. Thus your seeing the same result. To achieve your desired result, you need to create a separate Calendar table and then create a relationship between the generated date column from Calendar and Date column from your fact table. You can create in a calculated calendar table in dax by using CALENDAR FUNCTION. Example:

CALENDAR =
CALENDAR (
    MIN ( 'X Axis: Day Created'[Date].DATE ),
    MAX ( 'X Axis: Day Created'[Date].DATE )
)

which is dynamically created based on the earliest and latest dates from Fact. Now, create another measure

CALCULATE (
    COUNT ( pd_nb_leads[Deals] ),
    DATESINPERIOD ( Calendar[Date], LASTDATE ( Calendar[Date] ), -28, DAY )
)

Put this measure and the date table from calendar to a table.

You can find a good tutorial here: https://powerpivotpro.com/2013/07/moving-averages-sums-etc/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @AbbasAsaria90,

For your measure, if your CurrentDate variable is simply equal to the dates in the date column then you can simply write your formula as 

COUNT ( pd_nb_leads[Deals] )

because hen you place your Date colum and the Leads Created, day measure inside the table, the value that is being returned by the measure is being filtered by the value in the Date column. 

Now for your second measure, the same thing happens. It is being filtered by the value from the Date column. Thus your seeing the same result. To achieve your desired result, you need to create a separate Calendar table and then create a relationship between the generated date column from Calendar and Date column from your fact table. You can create in a calculated calendar table in dax by using CALENDAR FUNCTION. Example:

CALENDAR =
CALENDAR (
    MIN ( 'X Axis: Day Created'[Date].DATE ),
    MAX ( 'X Axis: Day Created'[Date].DATE )
)

which is dynamically created based on the earliest and latest dates from Fact. Now, create another measure

CALCULATE (
    COUNT ( pd_nb_leads[Deals] ),
    DATESINPERIOD ( Calendar[Date], LASTDATE ( Calendar[Date] ), -28, DAY )
)

Put this measure and the date table from calendar to a table.

You can find a good tutorial here: https://powerpivotpro.com/2013/07/moving-averages-sums-etc/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Thanks! I'll take a look at the tutorial and let you know how I get on 🙂

Thanks, this works for the specific example given 🙂

Best,

Abbas

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.