Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Issue: Slicer automatically changes type from Dropdown to List

I have a slicers from power BI desktop in which I set to a dropdown type but after publishing it online and embedded it to my page it automatically changes the slicer type to List. I want my slicers to be in a dropdown type and I don't want the BI to change it automatically to different types. Is there an option setting that I need to change? Please help. Thank you so much.

Beforebefore.PNG

After

after.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AnatolyYavorsky
Advocate I
Advocate I

Until this matter is fixed by PBI team, you could action as follows in Desktop:

1. Select Dropdown on your slicer
2. Create new bookmark of the page with this dropdown slicer

3. Replace old bookmark with a new one and adjust the setting of all your images, shapes etc linked to the old bookmark

Otherwise, it would seem PBI published report picks up the original version of the slicer with the List rather then Dropdown

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
fedlov
Advocate II
Advocate II

Goodness I can't believe this is 4 years old and still happening!

And by the way this isn't solved.

The solution provided is a workaround but it's happening to me in a sheet that doesn't have any bookmark.

Microsoft has to step up their game here. I'm seeing more and more issues that just shouldn't happen.

Absolutely... updating the bookmark did not work for me, which is frankly quite annoying...

sandy2112
Frequent Visitor

Update Bookmrak worked for me.. Thanks a lot.

silasmeredith
Advocate I
Advocate I

Thank you everyone for the suggested solution (to update bookmarks)! Unfortunately, I have tried this several times, and am still experiencing the bug. Is anyone else still experiencing this, and has anyone found an alternate solution?

I'm having the same issue too, I updated the bookmark severally but it didn't work, It worked after I created another bookmark as advised by @fedlov though.

Keep telling my end users to hit the 'reset to default' button when it happens. 

Been an issue since the Hierarchy feature was released this year IMHO

AgustínM
Advocate I
Advocate I

Easier way to manage: Update the slicers in your page, as you wish, and then just Update the Page Bookmark (you don't need to create a new Bookmark!). (It seems the Bookmark keeps the visualizations for the Page at the moment such Bookmark is created or whenever it's afterwards updated.

AgustínM
Advocate I
Advocate I

Easier way to manage: Update the slicers in your page, as you wish, and then just Update the Page Bookmark (you don't need to create a new Bookmark!). (It seems the Bookmark keeps the visualizations for the Page at the moment such Bookmark is created or whenever it's afterwards updated.

It worked perfectly! Thanks a lot!

AnatolyYavorsky
Advocate I
Advocate I

3. Replace old bookmark with a new one and adjust the setting of all your images, shapes etc linked to the old bookmark

Otherwise, it would seem PBI published report picks up the original version of the slicer with the List rather then Dropdown

Hope this helps

I know this is old, but this simple trouble shooting check made my life a whole lot easier.  Remake the Shortcut!  thank you!

great.. it works

Thank you so much @AnatolyYavorsky your solution works for me.

You are most welcome @chesterraepined. Glad I could help. 

AnatolyYavorsky
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hope this helps

RJS849
Frequent Visitor

Was this resolved. I am having the same issue. It appeared after I added the bookmarks. Looks like when i click on the bookmark in the bookmark pane, the slicer dropdown changes to list. I think somehow bookmark messes it up.

You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it. 

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

That seems like a bug to me, I would post this in Issues area.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.