Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NhiLe297
Frequent Visitor

Issue Multi-studios data filter in Power Bi Desktop

Hi Everyone,

I am new to Power Bi and has been trying to created a report showing cross studio sales for my company. 

The data exported from Xero. Within an invoice, there is Job Number with studio collumn and each invoice line item belong to a studio as well. Ex:

Job No. on invoice is Bxxxx, belong to studio B, invoice line item can be as below:

INV-20000

DateDescAmount (exc Tax)Studio
(blank line w Job No.)Job No: Bxxxx  
xx/xx/xxxxlineitem 1$100B
xx/xx/xxxxlineitem 2$150C

In the report I want to show the below for each month:

Invoice No.Invoice DateJob No.StudioGross SalesStudio B salesCross Studio sales

INV-20000

line item 1

xx/xx/xxxxJob No: BxxxxB2501000

INV-20000

line iteam 2

xx/xx/xxxxJob No: BxxxxB 0150

TOTAL250100150

90% of the report has been done but I am having issues with studio filtering.

I have created different tabs for each studio.

The filters are: 

• By Month/Year
  • By Studio

Columns come from the below data tables:

• Invoice_plus table -->Invoice No., Invoice Date, 
  • invoice_job --> Job Number
  • invoicelineitem table --> studio, gross sale (sum of lineamount column), Studio B sales (I created a column for only studio B amount)

At the moment the Studio filter was from another table call Studio table. This table includes Job Studio (ex: studio A, B, C) for each studio Job Code (ex: A, B, C ....these are the first letter of job number) with the studio name as per job code.

Issue 1: When I filter using the above Studio filter only the invoice of which Job No. starts with correspondence studio code shows (Ex: selecting studio B, only job number start with Bxxx show). This is a good thing as the cross studio sales collumn works, the issue is there is line amount belong to another invoice, but this invoice has Job No start with C, within this invoice, 1 line amount belong to studio B, but this invoice does not appear under studio B filter, it only appear if I select studio C in filter--> which make the total amount in correct for all collumns.

Issue 2: if I filter using the Studio collumn from invoicelineintem table, only invoice line item with the filtered studio shows, ex: select studio B in filter, I can see all line items that are studio B (in Xero this is the studio column from the invoice, which show studio B)

This avoided the problem in issue 1 but created bigger problem where there were no cross studios sales --> again the total amount is incorrect and also defeat the whole purpose of creating the report in the first place.

I really need help with the above issues and the result I am aiming at is for the report to show as below:

Second invoice for result example

INV-20001

DateDescAmount (exc Tax)Studio
(blank line w Job No.)Job No: Cxxxx  
xx/xx/xxxxitem 1$200B
xx/xx/xxxxitem 2$250C
xx/xx/xxxxitem 3$300C

Under studio B Tab the below should show (and the other way around for studio C Tab

Invoice No.Invoice DateJob No.StudioGross SalesStudio B salesCross Studio sales

INV-20000

line item 1

xx/xx/xxxxJob No: BxxxxB2501000

INV-20000

line iteam 2

C 0150

INV-20001

line item 1

Job No: CxxxxB$750$200 

INV-20001

line item 2

C  $250

INV-20001

line item 3

C  $300

TOTAL250100150

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
doremon2111

2021-01-25 13_35_00-Window.png2021-01-25 13_35_58-Window.pngThe 1st main point of your problem is that you need to restructure your source data table. 

Here is one of my example of table InvoiceLine.

What should be noticed:

1. Each line is corresponding to 1 lineitem.
  2. I added 4 columns: Job No, Invoice No, Original Studio, Cross Studio. You have to create two separate columns: one for Original Studio, and one for Cross Studio. 
  3. Create a table Studio --> Create Relationship between Original Studio Key vs. Job Code (in table Studio)

With this, you can solve your 1st issue. 

The 2nd main point is that your out put table is being incorrectly showed. Power BI isn't like excel, you cannot visualize the table like this. 

You cannot show the total amount of invoice in the same line with ItemLine. It doesnt make sense. 

Here is what i created with Source Data table above 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

First thing you want to do is improve the sructure of your source data. You should not have "blank lines with data". If the job number is the same throughout an invoice then you need to add the job number as a field to the invoice details.

Thank you for your feedback.

At the moment the blank lines do not create any issues and I have managed to make the visualisation of the report not showing the blank lines. 

Do you have any recommendation on how to fix the studio filtering issues. Main goal is to show correct total cross studio sales for each studio.

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.