Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Matthew_S
Regular Visitor

Issue Importing All Data from an Excel Column

Hi there,

First time poster - I'm working with importing several Excel files into Power BI.  Each of them contains a CUSTOMER ID column.  Within Excel, the column is formatted as TEXT.  Within the column, there are customer IDs that are all-numbers (example: 123456) & also IDs that contain letters & numbers (example: WB123456).   After the importing & transforming the data, I'm seeing that only the all-numbers IDs were imported.

As part of the intial transform, Power BI tried to default format this column as whole-number, but I have changed it to text.  Still though, I'm not seeing that my letters & numbers IDs (example: WB123456) were imported.

How can I make sure these IDs get imported?   Is there a transform step that I'm missing?

Thanks for any insights that can be provided

3 REPLIES 3
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Remove the "Changed Type" step in the Applied steps pane of the Query Editor.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Welcome to the forum.

Can you post a picture of the power query screen please OR the actual code from the Advanced Editor in Power Query?

Also, do you see errors for the fields that are letters and numbers? 

Hi there, I've posted a few screenshots, ranging from a sample of the original Excel file, to Power Query Editor & Advanced Editor.  What I'm seeing is that the IDs that are letters+numbers aren't making it into Power BI at all.  I'm wondering if the issue has to do with the way the 2 different ID types are formatted in Excel, but I haven't found a way around it yet.    Thanks for any insights you or anyone else can provide

A Sample of the Original Excel FileA Sample of the Original Excel FileViewing in Power Query EditorViewing in Power Query EditorWhen trying to filter view for Letters+Numbers IDsWhen trying to filter view for Letters+Numbers IDsAdvanced EditorAdvanced Editor

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.