Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andykmwong
Helper III
Helper III

Issue Encountered on Technical Preview : Power BI reports in SQL Server Reporting Services

Dears,

I have successfully install and set up the SQL Reporting Services for Power BI according to the link below. This will create a new SQL Server instance RSServer which override the initial SQL Serevr instance from SSRS 2016 i.e. MSSSQLSERVER.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54610

I could successfully run up the SSRS web portal and web services.

http://[ServerName]/ReportServer 
http://[ServerName]/Reports  

I could also successfully upload the power BI reports to the SSRS 2016.

Once everything fine, I have a reboot to the Windows Server 2012 R2 then the RSServer lost in MS SQL Reporting Services Configuration Manager but only MSSSQLSERVER. 

So the above 2 url have error as screen shots.

Then I have another laptop running on Windows 10 which also have the same issue after retry the same steps.

Please help !

Andy Wong

andykm.wong@dhl.com

852-96202905

IMG_2845.JPGIMG_2846.JPGIMG_2847.JPGIMG_2848.JPGIMG_2849.JPG

3 REPLIES 3
andykmwong
Helper III
Helper III

HI Simon,

Just follow the advise perform 2 actions as below :

1. Remove and re-install SQL Server 2016 and related components including preview SSRS 2016

2. Through the SSRS configuration tool, change the URL's for Reports/ReportServer to something different for SSRS 2016 and the preview

Everything looks fine then encountered DB cannot be connected issue after reboot. Open the configuration tool and it cannot connect the preview Report Server DB.

Does this issue known in preview version ?IMG_2878.JPGIMG_2879.JPGIMG_2880.JPGIMG_2881.JPG

Thanks 

Andy Wong

IMG_2882.JPGIMG_2883.JPGIMG_2884.JPGIMG_2885.JPG

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@andykmwong

After install the SQL Server Reporting Service for Power BI, it will install the new Reporting Service instance (RSServer). Your existing SSRS instance will not override.

For this new instance (RSServer), you need to create new report server database.

44.PNG

And change the Virtual Directory for Report Server and Web Portal URL.

555.PNG

Otherwise, both MSSQLSERVER and RSServer use same URL which will cause this configuration error.

Then you should be able to specify the new report server address in Power BI Desktop.

777.PNG

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.