Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this possible using DAX

Hi All - I have a monhtly snapshot table that captures our deal history as shown below in the screen shot. Goal is to compare two different months and see if the close date and/or amounts have changes.

Users will select the following:

1. A date range using snapshot date
2. A date range using close date

We need a measure that does the following:

Get snapshot start date & snapshot end date from the user selection, compare the deals as of the "start date" vs the "end date".  For a given deal, if the close date of a deal as of "end snapshot date" is greater than the close date of the same deal as of "beginning snapshot date" AND the close date of the deal as of "end snapshot date" is outside of the close date range selected by the user, then grab the amount from the deal as of the "end snapshot date".

Is this possible?

Untitled.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

Let me know if you'd like to get below results:

Measure 2 = var a = MAX('Table 2'[CloseDate selected])
var b = MIN('Table 2'[CloseDate selected])
var c= MAX('Table 3'[SnapshotDate selected])
var d = MIN('Table 3'[SnapshotDate selected])
var closedateofendsnapshotdate = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[CloseDate]),FILTER('Table',[SnapshotDate]=c))
var closedateofbeginningsnapshotdate = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[CloseDate]),FILTER('Table',[SnapshotDate]=d))
Return CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Amount]),FILTER('Table',closedateofendsnapshotdate>closedateofbeginningsnapshotdate&&closedateofendsnapshotdate>a&&'Table'[CloseDate]=closedateofendsnapshotdate))
Measure 3 = SUMX('Table',[Measure 2])

009.PNG

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Let me know if you'd like to get below result:

Measure = var a = MAX('Table 2'[CloseDate selected])
var closedateofendsnapshotdate = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[CloseDate]),FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Deal ID]),[SnapshotDate]=c))
var closedateofbeginningsnapshotdate = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[CloseDate]),FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Deal ID]),[SnapshotDate]=d))
Return
CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Amount]),FILTER('Table',closedateofendsnapshotdate>closedateofbeginningsnapshotdate&&closedateofendsnapshotdate>a&&'Table'[CloseDate]=closedateofendsnapshotdate))

02.PNG

Pbix attached.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you, can you please let me know what Table 2 and Table 3 are?

HI @Anonymous 

They're calendar tables for bringing the slicer of the snapshot date selected and close date selected, coz we are not able to use the original table's column as a slicer to filter the expected result.

quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The logic is working only when the Deal Id is used in the table. If I want to look at the aggregate value (without Deal Id), it shows blank. Any idea how to modify it to work without Deal ID?

Hi @Anonymous 

Let me know if you'd like to get below results:

Measure 2 = var a = MAX('Table 2'[CloseDate selected])
var closedateofendsnapshotdate = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[CloseDate]),FILTER('Table',[SnapshotDate]=c))
var closedateofbeginningsnapshotdate = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[CloseDate]),FILTER('Table',[SnapshotDate]=d))
Return CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Amount]),FILTER('Table',closedateofendsnapshotdate>closedateofbeginningsnapshotdate&&closedateofendsnapshotdate>a&&'Table'[CloseDate]=closedateofendsnapshotdate))
Measure 3 = SUMX('Table',[Measure 2])

009.PNG

quickly.

Hi @Anonymous 

Could you please kindly mark my answer as a solution for the original question? That will help others find it more quickly. thanks a lot!

I'll draw it up for your new question at my earlier convenience.

quickly.
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Not quite understand your logic, could you please clarify more about this sentence? 

For a given deal, if the close date of a deal as of "end snapshot date" is greater than the close date of the same deal as of "beginning snapshot date" AND the close date of the deal as of "end snapshot date" is outside of the close date range selected by the user,

what does the "end snapshot date" means?

quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-diye-msft wrote:

what does the "end snapshot date" means?

Users will select a data range using the snapshot date field. For example, a user might select 1/1/2019 to 1/31/2019 in this case the end snapshot is 1/31/2019

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors