Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jess_v
Frequent Visitor

Is there any way to get a list of reports and what daset they use? (Smart Search)

I am trying to find an (at least mostly) automated way to get a list of reports in Power BI and which dataset they used.  I am seeing APIs to list reports and datasets, but haven't seen one that gets the daset based on the report.  

The reason I am trying to do this is that I have been tasked trying to find with setting up an initial list of filters and returning the list of reports that contain data based on that list.  So, basically a smart search for reports.  For example I would have an initial page with a "Report Type" filter that has "Ad Hoc" and "Scheduled Report" as options, and a "Frequency" filter with the options of "Daily", "Monthly", and "Quarterly".  Based on the user, selection, I would like to get back a list of reports that meet the criteria. 

I am envisioning creating a table in a SQL Server database that has a report attribute list. 

Report | Data_Connection | Tables_Used | Dataset | Columns_in_Table | Report_Desc

I think I can populate first 3 fields with the Power BI rest APIs, but am searching for a way to programmatically populate the "Dataset" field based on the "Report" field.  The "Columns_in_Table" can be filled by querying the appropriate database and would be used to find reports that match the "Frequency_Filter", The "Report_Desc" would be used to find reports that match the "Report_Type" filter and would probably be populated manually.

This is my initial thought on a solution, but I am very new to Power BI and welcome any other approaches or third party tools anyone can recommend.

Thanks! 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jess_v  - I don't think so. This recent video talks about data lineage, but says near the end that there is no API available at this point.

View solution in original post

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Yes. In report vew under the three dots there is an option called "View Related". That one should show the dataset.

However if you want to check everything on the workspace. Under workspace view check "List View" menu on top right then click "Linage View (preview)". You need to have the new look on to see the option.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Yes. In report vew under the three dots there is an option called "View Related". That one should show the dataset.

However if you want to check everything on the workspace. Under workspace view check "List View" menu on top right then click "Linage View (preview)". You need to have the new look on to see the option.

Regards,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jess_v  - I don't think so. This recent video talks about data lineage, but says near the end that there is no API available at this point.

@Anonymous  Thanks for the video.  I wasn't familiar with data lineage, and this is good information.  Hopefully this will get added to the API.

@ibarrau Thanks for the instructions, this view is a bit better than trying to go each individual report to find the associated dataset. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.