Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

luc
Frequent Visitor

Is there a way to use parameters as start and end of axis range?

By start and end of axis range, I mean these fields in the following image:
power-bi-y-axis.png

If you're curious why, I have a report model that asks for a startdate and enddate parameters when opened. I these dates to be the range for the visuals on this report.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @luc

Short answer: I would just add a date slicer to your report and set the start and end date. You can sync this slicer across all pages of your report as well.

Long answer: Create your parameters and enable load in the Query Editor. Then you can create a calculated column that will look something like:

InRange = 
IF(
    AND(FIRSTNONBLANK(StartDate[StartDate],1) <= Table1[Date], FIRSTNONBLANK(EndDate[EndDate],1) >= Table1[Date])
    "Yes",
    "No"
)

Then you can add a Report Level filter for InRange = "Yes".

Hope this helps,

Parker

luc
Frequent Visitor

That doesn't work, I already filter the data based on these parameters when querying the data source. The problem is that if I want for example the x axis from a a visual to go from 03/01 to 03/31, if the y axis of that visual has value 0 at 03/01 the visual will automatically resize the x range to go from 03/02 to 03/31. Instead of resizing I want the visual to show a 0 even if there is no data for the first day of March.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would receommend a Date table with a list of continuous dates in your date range. You can then set your X axis to use this date range and still use the calculated column I provided above. As for showing a 0 for that first date, I'm not sure about that. It might just show up as a blank.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.