Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way to rename the 'Blank' value in a slicer?

While I actually do need the "(Blank)" value in my slicer, I'd like to change its name to something like "Unknown" for my application. Does anyone have any ideas?

Much thanks, in advance.

-Jude C.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm afraid that there's no way to rename the '(blank)' value on the front-end slicer side. All you can do is to replace the blank value at source data side.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous,

There are many ways you can use to change the blank values depending on where your source data is flowing from.

The handy way I use is to use the Replace Values in the Query Editor to change the name to Unknown instead of Blank Values.

Thanks,

Bhavesh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a quick qualification, all: I'm trying NOT to use the Query Editor for this purpose, because I'm looking for the remainder between columns of two very large tables, and the range of values within that remainder could vary widely. I just want to be able to rename the '(blank)' value on the front-end slicer to something a little more intuitive to the user.

Let me know. Hope you're having a great weekend.

-JC

@Anonymous

Probably not ideal, but how about duplicating the column in query editor (or as a calculated column), replacing the blank values with some other useful text, and use this column in the slicer, and the original column for calculations?

Clumsy, I know, but...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

When trying to avoid increasing query load time, this is the solution. In the transaction table, you can do a calculated column with LOOKUPVALUE() to the dimension and if ISBLANK() then, add "XXX" or -1, else use the returned value. On the dimension side, you will want to append a row in Power Query (not expensive for performance) with "XXX" or -1 as the key and "Unknown" as the displayed value. 

Hi @Anonymous et al.  Sorry I didn't get back to this post.  I see a lot of different ideas about how to fix this.  I want to put forward my view for your consideration.  I have created a blog article and video showing how I recommend you fix this.  You can see it here => Remove Blanks in Slicers in Power BI

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

This method is exactly what I needed.  Works great! Thanks!

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm afraid that there's no way to rename the '(blank)' value on the front-end slicer side. All you can do is to replace the blank value at source data side.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm accepting this as the solution, since it's conclusive about what's actually possible. Thanks. -Jude C.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I used something like this in Modelling...

CompanyTypeLabel = IF(ISBLANK(LOOKUPVALUE(gap_type[gap_label],gap_type[gap_value],new_accountset[CompanyTypeValue])),"Business",LOOKUPVALUE(gap_type[gap_label],gap_type[gap_value],new_accountset[CompanyTypeValue]))

I've changed some of the field names involved, but it should be obvious what I've done.

The reason you have a blank is there is Data in the table on the many side of the relationship that has no matching record in the table in the one side of he relationship. To solve this, add the missing records to the one side table and give them any name you like. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

May I ask (a few years after), how exactly would You achieve this? I've tried all of the following, to no avail.
Let's say, there are two categories of concern: A and B. There are also records that belong to none of them, they are listed as '(blank)' in PowerQuery (not 'null') and '(Blank)' in PBI.

I've set up a dimension table like this

data_valuecat_name
ALetter_A
BLetter_B
''

quotes

""

double_quotes

null

a_null

empty_string

My problem is, the blank data would never get assiciated with any of the categories and the '(Blank)' group will still remain (if I chose to display items with no data).

How should I address the empty values?
Thanks in advance!

P.S. I know it would be wise to head back to PQ and replace the missing values with somenting more meaningful, perhaps even 'null', but the problem is, It would take several hours to refresh, which I am trying to avoid right now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Matt. Is there any way to do this purely on the front-end? The thing is I essentially want this to be a catch-all for all of those records whose column X doesn't match another table's records for column X, and I'd like to do this at scale.

LMK. I think the user group would be comfortable with simply using '(Blank)'. I'm just trying to make it all more intuitive.

Hope you're having a nice night/morning(?).

-Jude C.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.