Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way to make calculated columns show in the Query Editor?

I have created two calculated columns in the default Data view because I like creating my DAX formulas with the Intellisense suggestions. However, I cannot see or use said columns in the Query Editor. Is there a way to show calculated columns in the Editor view? I don't like the idea of having to create them all at the Query level.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

Regarding your question the first thing you need to be aware is that the query editor uses M language to make the treatment of the information and the Data View of the PBI is on DAX, this are two different languages with very different syntaxes so with different ways of working the information.

Based on this as you cannot see all the steps you have on the query editor on the Data view you can't also see the calculated measures or columns created in DAX in the query editor. They are separated from each other and have different purposes within the PBI.

Query Editor to clean, shape and transform the data from a data source for getting data.

Data View to model the imported data and define calculations for analytics.

You don't need to create everything on the query view or on the Data view it depends on your objectives and data model somethings, can be made in one and some in the other depends on your requisites.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

Hi @Anonymous,

No DAX formulas don't work on the query editor as M formulas don't work on the Data view it's different concepts.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

Regarding your question the first thing you need to be aware is that the query editor uses M language to make the treatment of the information and the Data View of the PBI is on DAX, this are two different languages with very different syntaxes so with different ways of working the information.

Based on this as you cannot see all the steps you have on the query editor on the Data view you can't also see the calculated measures or columns created in DAX in the query editor. They are separated from each other and have different purposes within the PBI.

Query Editor to clean, shape and transform the data from a data source for getting data.

Data View to model the imported data and define calculations for analytics.

You don't need to create everything on the query view or on the Data view it depends on your objectives and data model somethings, can be made in one and some in the other depends on your requisites.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for that clarification, @MFelix. So will DAX formulas not work at all in the Query Editor?

Hi @Anonymous,

No DAX formulas don't work on the query editor as M formulas don't work on the Data view it's different concepts.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

RMDNA
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

There is not, as far as I'm aware, because calculated columns are fundamentally different from columns created in the Query Editor.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, @RMDNA. Sad day, but I appreciate the clarification.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.