Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

carlosDash
Advocate V
Advocate V

Is there a way to input TEXT to filter results in "Report" view?

I'd like to display a table with a few columns (FirstName, LastName, D.O.B, Comments, EntryDate etc.). In the desktop editor, I can easily add "include" and "exclude" type of "Advanced filters" to target a certain person or persons. 

Is it possible to create a filter in the report view so that a user can input text queries to filter data?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I do not believe that this is included in slicer functionality as you describe it. But, slicers might be the answer to your issue depending on your requirements.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

carlosDash
Advocate V
Advocate V

I actually found the feature I was looking for in the "Slicer"-visualization filter!

Create a slicer and choose which column you want to use. Then click the three little dots in the right hand corner and choose "Search". Now you can easily find the entry by typing it in the search field. 

PBIDesktop_2017-01-23_17-34-50.png

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
jpb175
Frequent Visitor

This is what I was looking for when reading this article. 

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA104381309?exp=ubp8&tab=Overview

Text Filter by Microsoft Corporation

Krampis
Regular Visitor

There is a Text Filter custom visual which allows text search by part of text as well as using * wildcard.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Text Filter just doesnt work at all with other charts on the visual. 

if you couple that custom text filter visualization with a slicer, it works even better, if you are looking to trim down the possible choices with the text filter. 

carlosDash
Advocate V
Advocate V

I actually found the feature I was looking for in the "Slicer"-visualization filter!

Create a slicer and choose which column you want to use. Then click the three little dots in the right hand corner and choose "Search". Now you can easily find the entry by typing it in the search field. 

PBIDesktop_2017-01-23_17-34-50.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, this solution is Valid but it is applicable only for Text type of Fields like Full Name, Type of Product,etc .But for fields like ID's/Date's this type of Search is not Possible.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont see that option to choose the search option on the slicer.  do I need to turn it on somewhere?

@Anonymous

It works when you use list and not dropdown.

It works when it is a drop down too. After selecting 'Search', you need to use the down arrow to view the values and the first one will now be the search line. I found it sometimes does not show if the slicer box is not wide enough.
Anonymous
Not applicable

It should work the same for a drop down (see pic). Though I have a few suggestions to improve this feature:

1) Make this box bigger or allow users to adjust the size. It is hard for novice users to find this feature.

2) Be able to type in the filter's box instead of having to click the down arrow first.

3) Allow developers to set it to match the beginning of the string, not just whether the item contains the entered text. 

image.png

There is a generic 'Text Filter' in the store now which looks like it resolves all this now

Many Thanks ! 🙂
exactly what i was looking for !

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I do not believe that this is included in slicer functionality as you describe it. But, slicers might be the answer to your issue depending on your requirements.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you for your reply. Essentially I'd need an input text field where the user could type search parameters but I'm guessing this is not possible at the moment in Power BI. I've looked into slicers but they don't offer the functionality that I'm after. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.