Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Mat87
Frequent Visitor

Is there a way to check for repeated/unique digits in a number?

Say I have a number like 9976288 and I want to return either 2 (99 and 88) or 5 (there  are overall 5 uniqe digits in the number).

Is there a way to do that? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

OK. In that case I will use a table Smiley Very Happy

And a function.

In this video you can see how it is created (although the video was created afterwards).

Query:

let
    Source = {"9976288","112244","123453673", "12345"},
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Converted to Table",{{"Column1", "Input"}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Splitted Text", each Text.ToList([Input])),
    #"Invoked Custom Function" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Counts", each Counts([Splitted Text])),
    #"Expanded Counts" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Invoked Custom Function", "Counts", {"Count Distinct", "Count Duplicated Values"}, {"Count Distinct", "Count Duplicated Values"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded Counts",{"Splitted Text"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Function "Counts":

let
    Source = (PseudoParameter) => 
let
    Source = PseudoParameter,
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Converted to Table", {"Column1"}, {{"Count", each Table.RowCount(_), type number}}),
    Result = [Count Distinct = Table.RowCount(#"Grouped Rows"),Count Duplicated Values = List.Count(List.Select(#"Grouped Rows"[Count], each _ > 1))]
in
    Result
in
    Source
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Mat87
Frequent Visitor

Thank you very much, Marcel. 

That's what I was looking for.

Mat87
Frequent Visitor

"

The count of 5 can be derived with Power Query formula

List.Count(List.Distinct(Text.ToList("9976288")))

"

By the way anyway I can apply this formula in DAX?

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

The count of 5 can be derived with Power Query formula

List.Count(List.Distinct(Text.ToList("9976288")))

It is not clear what you mean by 2:

• 2 distinct values with multiple occurrences,
  • 2 8's
  • 2 9's
  • The average number of duplicates

"

• 2 distinct values with multiple occurrences,"

Yeah that what I mean. So

112244 would return 3

789817 would return 2

123453673 would return 1

12345 would return 0 or blank 

etc

Oh and thanks for the Power Query formula.

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

OK. In that case I will use a table Smiley Very Happy

And a function.

In this video you can see how it is created (although the video was created afterwards).

Query:

let
    Source = {"9976288","112244","123453673", "12345"},
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Converted to Table",{{"Column1", "Input"}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Splitted Text", each Text.ToList([Input])),
    #"Invoked Custom Function" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Counts", each Counts([Splitted Text])),
    #"Expanded Counts" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Invoked Custom Function", "Counts", {"Count Distinct", "Count Duplicated Values"}, {"Count Distinct", "Count Duplicated Values"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded Counts",{"Splitted Text"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Function "Counts":

let
    Source = (PseudoParameter) => 
let
    Source = PseudoParameter,
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Converted to Table", {"Column1"}, {{"Count", each Table.RowCount(_), type number}}),
    Result = [Count Distinct = Table.RowCount(#"Grouped Rows"),Count Duplicated Values = List.Count(List.Select(#"Grouped Rows"[Count], each _ > 1))]
in
    Result
in
    Source

The new split by chars into Rows could be useful here for detecting repeat characters.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Phil: I guess you mean the Split Column into Rows?

In general I think List operations are more efficient than table operations.

Oh sounds good.  I need to play with lists more.  Can you pickup repeat items in a list easily enough?  

I was thinking of a complicated approach using the 0/1 based dual index columns merged back to identify these instances, but it seemed like overkill.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.