Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NewPowerBIUser

Is there a way for Power BI to read XML data imported as a string?

My organisation has created a data warehousing system, which holds some tables which are hardcoded and some which are in XML. This data has been pulled from the database, into the data warehouse and then into Power BI. All XML code has been inlcluded into the one table in a string format.

If I were to strip out the XML code I require into its own colum, could Power BI digest and interpret this information? I've seen a number of responses in the Power BI community advising people to export their data to an XML file and import it into Power BI, however with our data warehousing system in place, this would not be a viable option.

TL;DR: Can Power BI read XML data imported as a string?

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @NewPowerBIUser

Based on my understanding:

You need to show xml data in your report, this data is stored in an data warehouse like Azure SQL Data Warehouse.

You need to know how to extract parts of this xml and convert it into a tabular data.

Right?

I would suggest you to use Query editor to modify the XML table.

Reference:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/data-adventures/2017/08/08/data-modeling-in-power-bi-using-xml...

Best Regards

Maggie

Thanks Maggie,

While I couldn’t accomplish what I was after, our IT staff have kindly updated the query stored in the data warehouse to have the already run XML code. I apologise if I didn’t explain the question correctly, however I couldn’t run the XML code that was imported into Power BI as a string. Thanks for the the answer 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.