Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

trevb
Resolver I
Resolver I

Is there a speed issue with the latest version of Power BI Desktop?

I have been struggling with the speed of using Power BI and have assumed that it may be my Surface Pro 3.  Trying a PBIX on my home computer yielded quicker results but still not outstanding.

Right now I am waiting for the result of a basic query to appear and it has already been more than 5 mins.  Thing is this is all pretty no brained stuff so I am somewhat baffled.

Here's the query

let
Source = Table.FromRecords({
[Name = "Earliest FY", Value=GetEarliestFY(Projects[ProjectStartDate])],
[Name = "Latest FY", Value=GetLatestFY(Projects[ProjectStartDate])],
[Name = "First Day of FY", Value=First_Day_Of_FY],
[Name = "First Month of FY", Value=First_Month_Of_FY],
[Name = "Quarter Title", Value="Quarter_Title"]
})
in
Source

Where the first two look like this (Earliest as the example):

(DateList as list) as date =>

let
//First get the two date extremes
EarliestDate=#date(Earliest_FY,First_Month_Of_FY ,First_Day_Of_FY),
MinDate=let MDate=List.Min(DateList), RetVal = if MDate < EarliestDate then EarliestDate else MDate in RetVal, //no need to go further back than this

//adjust these to the start of financial year

MinDateFY = if Date.Month(MinDate) >= First_Month_Of_FY then #date(Date.Year(MinDate),First_Month_Of_FY,First_Day_Of_FY) else #date(Date.Year(MinDate)-1,First_Month_Of_FY,First_Day_Of_FY)

in
MinDateFY

All of the rest i.e. anything that uses _ are defined PBI parameters.  Thing is I did not think any of this was a big deal and it never has been to date.  The only thing I wondered about is whether calls to M functions might be expensive.  Out side of that I don't understand.  It is taking hours to apply anything!

Anybody got any ideas of what is wrong?  I'm currently working with every app except my web browser and PBI closed.  And I will close the web browser after I post this...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Eric,

I have figured this our.  I was using each of these in an addcolumn with a list generater causing these to be called multiple times.

What I did was to create a variable with the return in and then use that in the itterator and the whole thing sped up dramatically.  Poor coding on my behalf.  I think I assumed it would be optimised but was thinking complier and not interpreter  🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@trevb

I tried to test that function and the rest Power Query code, however they perform well. I don't get any slowness. While saying " It is taking hours to apply anything", is the basic query the only thing in your scenario? How much data in your case?

Hi Eric,

I have figured this our.  I was using each of these in an addcolumn with a list generater causing these to be called multiple times.

What I did was to create a variable with the return in and then use that in the itterator and the whole thing sped up dramatically.  Poor coding on my behalf.  I think I assumed it would be optimised but was thinking complier and not interpreter  🙂

It is great to hear you've figure it out and thanks for sharing the solution. 🙂
You can accept your reply as solution to close this thread.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.