Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

niklas3000
Helper I
Helper I

Is there a simple way to let a user enter a textstring to a power bi report?

Hi!

I am building av report that needs to let the user in realtime enter a short text that the report should have as in-data.

If the what if-function support text, then that would work, but it only supports numbers.

I am looking for a smart and simple way to do this, without having to code an webapplication.

Update: it should be possible to enter any text, not select a text the exists in the model.

Any suggestions on how to solve this are most appricated.

5 REPLIES 5
niklas3000
Helper I
Helper I

(reposted this, because I posted in the wrong group)

Hi!

I am building av report that needs to let the user in realtime enter a short text that the report should have as in-data.

If the what if-function support text, then that would work, but it only supports numbers.

I am looking for a smart and simple way to do this, without having to code an webapplication.

It should be possible for the user to enter any text, not just select a text the exists in the model.

Any suggestions on how to solve this are most appricated.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @niklas3000,

How about the search function in the slicer?

Is_there_a_simple_way_to_let_a_user_enter_a_textstring_to_a_power_bi_report

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I see now left out a important thing in my question, the user should be able to enter any text. Not just a text that are represented i a columns of the current model, wich I think is what could be captured with the search you are suggesting.

The report I am building will let the user type any text and the model will use the text to calculate att measurment from that text.

The mearurment will calculate the sentiment of the text, using congitive services. I have alreade done this report with textstrings loaded from an excelfile, but I would lika to make an demo of the function that is internactive in realtime.

Hi @niklas3000,

That sounds like a function of the parameter. Please refer to blog/deep-dive-into-query-parameters-and-power-bi-templates/. I don't aware of any function in the visuals. Please try the parameter.

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks!

Read up on how it works, and even dough its not exacly what I am looking for, but it might be the closest thing

Only one instance of the parameter for all users, but that limitation could be ok. It can be accessed via an API, url or adm-ui in powerbi.com.  I will give it a try!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.