Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Clout
Helper III
Helper III

Is there a disadvantage when I declare a whole number as a decimal?

Hello,

I want to remove after my data transformation every blank columns so I have to entpivot and pivot it to remove them automatically. I do this step at the end because the amount of needed columns fluctuate between the data so I dont want to have columns which I dont need.

However, when I pivoted the columns again to the initial state, every column is declared as a decimal, even when I declared some columns as whole numbers before. So is there a disadvantage if I declare whole numbers as decimals? Are there some things I have to pay attention when I do my calculations and visuals?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Clout , In the case of decimal, there can be an approximation that can happen in few cases. unless most needed you should convert whole number to decimal

Whole number operations are faster the decimal. Whole number can be used for key columns for fatser retrival

Okay so the main difference is the speed of calculation?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.