Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a different version of Power BI Desktop application for Free and Pro version?

I initially download PBI desktop and installed and confitured it with free license account, now I have granted with pro license, just wondering do I need to download a different version of Power BI and how to check if pro license is in place?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nvprasad
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi,

There is nothing to do with pro licnece with powerbi desktop version. You can log in PowerBI Desktop with your pro license on the top right corner. 

Also after you, login PowerBI service then click on the "Settings" icon on the top right corner then choose Manage personal storage to view your license type either pro or free.

Appreciate a Kudos! 🙂
If this helps and resolves the issue, please mark it as a Solution! 🙂

Regards,
N V Durga Prasad

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ChristofferBS

I have aquired a Pro license, but need to continue working in the desktop version of Power BI, as the data should not be published. However, even though I am logged on with a Pro account in this, I do not seem to have the functionalities available. A simple example is that I still cannot copy a figure from BI into PP, which should be enabled now.

How can the desktop version be upgraded to Pro and include all these functionalities? I am not interested in accessing BI from app.powerbi.com

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , No same version of desktop will work. Now you can share report with other pro users.

• Power BI Desktop- Power BI Desktop is a free application you can install right on your own computers. Power BI Desktop works cohesively with the Power BI service. But Power BI Desktop has the following limitations:

• Can’t share created reports with non-Power BI Pro users
  • No App Workspaces
  • No API embedding
  • No email subscriptions
  • No peer-to-peer-sharing

• Power BI Pro- it is provided per user. Power BI Pro is an individual license that allows access to all content and capabilities in the Power BI service. You can even share content and collaborate with other Pro users. Only Pro users can publish content to workspaces, share dashboards, and subscribe to dashboards and reports.  

• Power BI Premium- Power BI Premium provides dedicated capacity to deliver more consistent performance. It also supports larger data volumes in Power BI. For individual users, Premium enables widespread distribution of content by Pro users and it doesn't require per-user licenses for recipients viewing the content. Power BI Premium consists of capacity in the Power BI service exclusively allocated to each organization. The capacity is supported by dedicated hardware fully managed by Microsoft. Organizations can choose to apply their dedicated capacity broadly, or allocate it to assigned workspaces based on the number of users, workload needs, or other factors—and scale up or down as requirements change.
nvprasad
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi,

There is nothing to do with pro licnece with powerbi desktop version. You can log in PowerBI Desktop with your pro license on the top right corner. 

Also after you, login PowerBI service then click on the "Settings" icon on the top right corner then choose Manage personal storage to view your license type either pro or free.

Appreciate a Kudos! 🙂
If this helps and resolves the issue, please mark it as a Solution! 🙂

Regards,
N V Durga Prasad

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.