Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HelenaX
Helper I
Helper I

Is there a Way to Show Critical Path on Power BI?

I have a workflow which contains many jobs. The workflow runs every day and I have the data which shows the duration of each job. Below is a simplified version of the workflow. 

HelenaX_2-1620429325499.png

You can see that each job has predecessors (except A) and some jobs (i.e F) rely on the completion of multiple jobs (C and D).

I would like to:

1) Create a flow such as above in PowerBI

2) Get Power BI to find out the critical path of the workflow dynamically

3) Get Power BI to calculate the percentage of each job duration over the total critical path duruation dynamically

Does Power BI have such function? I saw a Calculated Critical Path key on PowerBI somewhere but I don't know how to use it. Tried to search around but no luck.

Would appreciate your help!

6 REPLIES 6
HelenaX
Helper I
Helper I

Could anyone please advise how to calcualate critical path in a workflow? If the workflow is presented by Visio, will Visio point out the critical path as the red line like below? If not, is there any other way to present the workflow and show the critical path?

HelenaX_0-1620744201471.png

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HelenaX 

There is a custom visual Visio Visual that you can use to import a workflow diagram into Power BI. You can get it from the AppSource.

Video: Working with Visio Visuals in PowerBI - YouTube

Doc: Add Visio Visuals to Power BI reports - Visio (microsoft.com)

For the other two questions, you can create measures to calcuate the results. 

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

@v-jingzhang  Thank you so much! Really glad to know there is a way to connect Visio to PowerBI!

Could you please explain more on how to create measures to calcuate the critical path? 

Hi @HelenaX 

Sorry I don't have Visio application to test this. I was thinking about using measures to calculate the critical path independantly but I found I need to define the sequence of the jobs first. I didn't figure out which table structure is approprite to help with this requirement.

Regards,

Jing

Jing, thank you anyway! I will wait to see if anyone else knows how to calculate Critical Path.

sorry i got here 3 years too late, hopefully you figured it out already.  But if not, the red line calculated your Critical Path for you.  That line has zero float, the other two paths have positive float.  free float is the difference between an individual activity's duration and when it has to be complete before it becomes zero float, or critical itself.  Add all free float together and you get total float.  the longest path then becomes critical path or having zero float.  now it would be really great if anyone could show me how to represent that from P6 into BI?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.