Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there DAX Formula like 'SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR' but for this year?

For starters, can someone please stop reporting this as spam. It's not spam, I'm just looking for some help. 

So I am building out a visualization that leverages time as a filter/slicer to pick between two points in time. From that filtering/slicer of time, I'm looking to see a like for like comparison between what would be most akin to the inverse of the 'SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR' function. 

The How: Basically, if I were to pick a date range between 8/1/2017 - 12/31/2017 or 8/1/2015 - 12/31/2015 I would want to have a series of values summed for 8/1/2017 - 12/31/2017 next to a series of values summed for 8/1/2018 - 12/31/2018. Basically, no matter the time change be it the year 2017, or 2015, or 2005 (if there were data), I'd want to see a measurement summation between the selected filtered date and the SAMEPERIODTHISYEAR. 

Note: The way I want to have the filter used in a way where the users pick the date value for the period in question, and in one chart they see the Selected Period's "burn rate" in one chart, then in a separate chart see the Current Year's "burn rate" in another chart. I've tried a few ways to work through this one, but with the variable of the calculation makes for DATEADD a little complex, because the Current Year is never going to be static during the timeline of the Power BI Report.

1 REPLY 1
LivioLanzo
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous

did you try to work out the years difference between TODAY() and the the YEAR in the slicer filter and then use this value in the DATEADD function?

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.