Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

antusmar
Frequent Visitor

Is power BI the right tool

Hi everyone

I am completely new to Power BI and before I invest a lot of time in trying to understand everything it is capable of doing I would appreciate some advice please. I currently export multiple reports from MS SQL reporting services into Excel. I then merge this data with data from other sources (which seems like a good application for Power BI) but then I do quite a few calculations in Excel using a bunch of formula's in order to get to my desired report. Is Power BI capable of performing quite complex 'Excel like' computations?

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nirvana_moksh
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hey Antusmar,

Power BI is very powerful in regards to connecting to multiple data sources, using DAX and M query to model your data and create multiple calculations and then creating visuals which add more value to the solution. In addition, the ability to use custom visuals gives the user more freedom to be creative , innovative and provide solutions to complex issues. Power BI team also does a tremendous job in their monthly updates wherein they enhance and push new features every month. I have used various reporting tools in the past like SSRS, Tableau, Spotfire, but Power BI has surely become my favorite thus far and they keep winning me over. I have created simple reports using rudimentary calculations and visuals like bar charts or line charts to really complex reports wherein I used Power Apps within Power BI to write back to the data shown on the report. Using PBI will definitely add more value to the solutions that you develop.

Bets of luck!

Thank You

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
nirvana_moksh
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hey Antusmar,

Power BI is very powerful in regards to connecting to multiple data sources, using DAX and M query to model your data and create multiple calculations and then creating visuals which add more value to the solution. In addition, the ability to use custom visuals gives the user more freedom to be creative , innovative and provide solutions to complex issues. Power BI team also does a tremendous job in their monthly updates wherein they enhance and push new features every month. I have used various reporting tools in the past like SSRS, Tableau, Spotfire, but Power BI has surely become my favorite thus far and they keep winning me over. I have created simple reports using rudimentary calculations and visuals like bar charts or line charts to really complex reports wherein I used Power Apps within Power BI to write back to the data shown on the report. Using PBI will definitely add more value to the solutions that you develop.

Bets of luck!

Thank You

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.