Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cunial

Is it possible to split rows

Hi All,

I am trying to split a row into several rows with only the value ("Indicator" below) changing.

Here's an example of what I am attempting.

Example:  
IDNameItemIndicator
1JohnOranges30

Result:  
ID:NameItemIndicator
1JohnOranges15
2JohnOranges15

I am trying to apply the logic; for all 'John' rows create a new row but divide indicator by x, in this case it is 2. 

I am new to PowerBI and after attempting to do this in DAX and M I am unsure about a couple things:

1. Is DAX or M the correct place to apply this change

2. Is this change possible

Also I would greatly appreciate any guidance for how I might do this if it is possible. 

Thanks in advance,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can do it in Power Query as illustrated in the video and resulting in the query code below.

Basically Power Query takes care of the steps to have your data properly structured into the datamodel, after which DAX takes over for further modeling and adding measures.

So in my view this should be done in Power Query, but I must admit I'm pretty biased towards Power Query.

Many people out here would prefer DAX.

The query code that was generated during video recording:

let
    Source = Table1,
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", (ThisRow) => if ThisRow[Name] = "John" then List.Transform({1..Parameter_x},each ThisRow[Indicator]/Parameter_x) else {ThisRow[Indicator]}, type {number}),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom"),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded Custom",{"Indicator"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Columns",{{"Custom", "Indicator"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Cunial,

I am not sure this is the best way, but how it is possible is:

Create a table where you duplicate those 3 columns (name, item, indicator)

After you created a new table with the desired columns, add a calculated column where you divide indicator by 2.

information about creating new columns can be found here :

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-calculated-tables/

Please let me know if this worked for you,

L.Meijdam

You can do it in Power Query as illustrated in the video and resulting in the query code below.

Basically Power Query takes care of the steps to have your data properly structured into the datamodel, after which DAX takes over for further modeling and adding measures.

So in my view this should be done in Power Query, but I must admit I'm pretty biased towards Power Query.

Many people out here would prefer DAX.

The query code that was generated during video recording:

let
    Source = Table1,
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", (ThisRow) => if ThisRow[Name] = "John" then List.Transform({1..Parameter_x},each ThisRow[Indicator]/Parameter_x) else {ThisRow[Indicator]}, type {number}),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom"),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded Custom",{"Indicator"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Columns",{{"Custom", "Indicator"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

I have a similar question is it possible to split the rows based on the value in the indicator. Like John - 30 this row should split into 30 rows

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.