cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raghavkh Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Is it possible to slice on date(year ,quarter,month,etc) in Direct Query mode?

Hello,

I just wanted to whether is it possible to drill down on date in direct query mode from SQL database? It works in the import mode but unfortunately, I would have to use direct query.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mbdtz Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Is it possible to slice on date(year ,quarter,month,etc) in Direct Query mode?

Hi @elliotdixon

I'm not sure if you're able to create a date table while using Direct Query but this post helped me with my Power BI date problems

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Possible-Tip-Trick-Dynamic-Date-Dimension-Table/td-p/8462

good luck Smiley Happy

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
waltheed
Advisor

Re: Is it possible to slice on date(year ,quarter,month,etc) in Direct Query mode?

Hi raghavkh,

You can slice with the filter controls for example, but you cannot create a hierarchy in Direct Query Mode, which is probably what you mean.

You can vote here for this additional functionality:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/10435572-create-dax-measures-fiel...

Cheers, Edgar Walther
Power BI User Group Netherlands
Frequent Visitor

Thanks. By filter control do you mean slicers in visuals right?

waltheed
Advisor

Yes, that's what I mean.

Cheers, Edgar Walther
Power BI User Group Netherlands
Moderator v-sihou-msft

@raghavkh

As I tested in my local environment, we can create hierarchy in Direct Query mode with SQL Database. The slicers works properly as well. I use Power BI Desktop April Update(2.34.4372.322)

Capture4.PNGCapture5.PNG

Regards,

elliotdixon Member

@raghavkh is that DimDate table just a connection from your SQL database or is it built using DAX - add blank query?
Just trying to work out how to add a date table.

Cheers.

Frequent Visitor

Its a column in my table. I'm not using DAX but I think that would be my next step to create columns for year month , quarter etc for live connections.

elliotdixon Member

@raghavkh Ok Cheers
I think I have to take the next step and build a date table in the database as well.

mbdtz Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi @elliotdixon

I'm not sure if you're able to create a date table while using Direct Query but this post helped me with my Power BI date problems

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Possible-Tip-Trick-Dynamic-Date-Dimension-Table/td-p/8462

good luck Smiley Happy

elliotdixon Member

Thanks @mbdtz but you can't create tables with Direct Query.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Power BI Helps Homeless and Trouble Youth

Power BI Helps Homeless and Trouble Youth

We spoke with Power BI Super User, Greg Deckler, about his charity work

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 1,041 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: