Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible to restrict the columns that Cortana looks up?

My dataset has columns that I do not necessarily want users to be able to filter the report by.  Using Cortana, however, a user could filter via that column if it asks the right question.

Is there any way to prevent this?  

The only thing I can think of is having a ISFILTER() statement for all my visuals, and to return BLANK() when true for those columns...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, the column in question is not listed in that textbox, so I have to assume that it doesn't work that way.

Anyway, I ended up put an if statement in my measures so that if someone tries to filter it by the column, all the measures just return a blank.  It works, but at the bottom of the cortana is a link to "Open in Power BI"...  which shows the entire row including sensitive information.

Finally, I think I discovered the solution.  In the table, you can hide a column from the report view.  When I did this, I can no longer filter cortana queries by the column and it also removes it from all Q&A returns.  My actual report seems unaffected...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

I think you can simply to remove these columns from Q&A textbox to disable cortana look up.(Page Information -> Q&A')

For detailed information, you can take a look at below links:

Introduction to Cortana for Power BI

Use Power BI to create a custom Answer Page for Cortana

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, the column in question is not listed in that textbox, so I have to assume that it doesn't work that way.

Anyway, I ended up put an if statement in my measures so that if someone tries to filter it by the column, all the measures just return a blank.  It works, but at the bottom of the cortana is a link to "Open in Power BI"...  which shows the entire row including sensitive information.

Finally, I think I discovered the solution.  In the table, you can hide a column from the report view.  When I did this, I can no longer filter cortana queries by the column and it also removes it from all Q&A returns.  My actual report seems unaffected...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.