Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lsuneson

Is it possible to do nested web queries?

Hi,

I'm trying to create a web query by that uses a paramter list that is generated from anohter web query but I'm getting the folliwng error:

Formula.Firewall: Query 'products - metafields' (step 'Expanded Value1') references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination.

I have done the following. 

I web query called Products with one field called product_id  

A list called product_id generated from the Proucts query

a parameter list called productid that is based on the product_id list. 

I'm adding the productid to the new webquery as shown is the image below. 

Am I doing something wrong or is it not possiable to do this?

Capture.JPG

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to 'isolate' teh query that's accessing an external data source as a separate function to which you pass the parameterhttp://www.excelguru.ca/blog/2015/03/11/power-query-errors-please-rebuild-this-data-combination/

In addition to @Anonymous 's suggestion: In PBI you can also use parameters for this task: https://gqbi.wordpress.com/2016/11/23/power-bi-using-parameters-for-flat-file-csv-excel-sources/

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.