Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible to create a unique identifier based on the contents of two columns?

I need to create a unique identifier column for a list of surveys submitted, and I want the surveys submitted for the same category to be given the same ID. Is this possible in Power BI? 

Here's an example:

Name               Date               Survey

Ben Williams    (6/12)              Cashier

Kelly Marks      (6/12)              Cashier

Max Ferrar       (6/12)                Store

I'd like to assign IDs to this list like so:

ID               Name               Date               Survey

1            Ben Williams         (6/12)              Cashier

1             Kelly Marks          (6/12)               Cashier

2             Max Ferrar           (6/12)                Store

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Would this not just be the same as duplicating your table, removing everything but the survey column, removing duplicates then adding an index column?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
SteveCampbell
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Expanding, here is one way to do in Power Query:

1. Open advanced editor

2. Look at the last step, where it says 

in
 #"SOME STEP"

3. For whatever value you have for #"SOME STEP" , copy that and replce in the code below:

,G = Table.AddIndexColumn(Table.Group(#"SOME STEP", {"Survey"},{{"", each null}}), "ID", 1, 1),
#"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"SOME STEP",{"Survey"},G,{"Survey"},"G",JoinKind.LeftOuter), #"Expanded G" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "G", {"ID"}, {"ID"}) in #"Expanded G"

4. Now, copy this whol code and paste over

in
 #"SOME STEP"

The bits I highlighted in Green is the column name, so this can be replaced if you want to use a different column.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Proud to be a Super User!

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm struggling with this. It seems totally logical but i don't understand what i'm meant to add into "Some Step".

I'm trying to make a unique identifyer based on the combination of 3 columns. So similar to this need.

I'll happily make another post but was hoping for more info around how this would look, specifically against the example.

This is maybe if you've had some experience editing M code.

If you want to make a unique identifier on 3 existing columns, in Power Query Editor, you could click Add Collumn > Custom Column. 

For the formula, you can add all the column names seperated by an ampersand (&) to concatenate. So, something like 

[Column1] & [Column2] & [Column3] 

Be aware that they have to be the same format (text, number etc).

I would also reccomend using a character to concatenate in the middle, I usually use a carrat (^).  This can stop repeats, especially for numbers - for example, if you join 51 & 11 = 5111, and 5 & 111 = 5111.

So the code could be:

[Column1] & "^" &  [Column2] & "^" & [Column3] 

As you are concatenating text, all columns must be text.

You can either change them all the columns to text and combine, or if you have numbers, wrap in

Number.ToText([Column1])

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Proud to be a Super User!

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

Hey, thanks a lot, you helped me a lot, but I am struggling with something here, and perhaps you may help me.

I am using 6 columns to make one that is unique. But what happens is that some of these fields have 'null' values, and when I conatenate the text, the result ends up bein 'null', and I don't want that.

Is there a way to ignore if the cell is null and just add the text?

Thanks in advance

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. Good advice with the ^

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm struggling with this. It seems totally logical but i don't understand what i'm meant to add into "Some Step".

I'm trying to make a unique identifyer based on the combination of 3 columns. So similar to this need.

I'll happily make another post but was hoping for more info around how this would look, specifically against the example.

jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Would this not just be the same as duplicating your table, removing everything but the survey column, removing duplicates then adding an index column?

Anonymous
Not applicable

It would indeed! Thanks for that info. I'm newer to the whole relationship concept. I appreciate it!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.