Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

avierywan
Frequent Visitor

Is it possible to create a column description, or a second name for a column?

I mean to create a column that has more than one name, or add a description for the column title itself. This is for large datasets with a huge number of columns; when column names are shortened, acronyms, a numerical identifier, or simply aren't self explanatory.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@avierywan,

Right-click on your field and select Properties, you are able to add description for the field.

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
lbenjamin

I see the description in the desktop version - but how do you see it in the service version?

dnair322
Employee
Employee

which version of power bi desktop supports this feature? Since I have updated my power bi desktop version to Version: 2.81.5831.821 64-bit (May, 2020) but still not able to see these properties tab to add a description for the column name.

In more recent version, column properties can be set in the model view in Power BI Desktop.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@avierywan,

Right-click on your field and select Properties, you are able to add description for the field.

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

For anyone looking at this recently and curious as to how things currently stand in 2024..

You must go into the Model view.

You should have two panes on the right: Properties, Data.

From there, select a table and column and notice that the Properties pane swaps views based on field/column selection.
This is where you find the text entry for column description.

jmorseCOS_0-1711387195601.png

@v-yuezhe-msft 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way to automate adding the field descriptions either using an import or using M queries.?

Thank you, I hadn't seen that option because I was using an older version.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.