Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ABNHS84
Frequent Visitor

Is it just me, or is it difficult to easily drag visualisations around?

Version 2.63.3272.40461 (which can't be changed because of corporate guidelines around installing software)

I don't know if anyone else has this issue, but I find it really annoying trying to move visuals around the screen. I tend to have to click four or five times until I can actually drag it, and sometimes, after a few seconds, it locks to the mouse pointer and I have to click again to release it.

Are there any particular rules I shoud be aware of when trying to drag and drop into position? 

It's worst on text boxes, where more often than not I'll end up with a text cursor in place and have to try again. 

Any help appreciated! 

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, ever since they removed the annoying top header to visuals this has gotten more difficult, guess that was good for something. Here is what I do.

1. Make sure nothing is selected

2. Hoever your mouse over the text box until the cursor changes to the cursor icon for text (looks like a capital I)

3. You will notice that gray lines appear around the border of the text box. Move your mouse slowly down within the text box to the bottom gray border until the cursor changes to the pointer icon

4. Click, hold and drag

Or, click, hold and drag the ellipses "...". Your cursor will be a finger pointing icon.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
MuthalibAbdul
Frequent Visitor

This doesnt work for me atleast

themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ABNHS84

Actually it is not you.

After the October version, moving aroung abjects became a nightmare.

On versions before October, there was an area right above the object where you could click on it and move the objects around.

See image:

image.png

On newer versions this area doesnt exist

Yes, ever since they removed the annoying top header to visuals this has gotten more difficult, guess that was good for something. Here is what I do.

1. Make sure nothing is selected

2. Hoever your mouse over the text box until the cursor changes to the cursor icon for text (looks like a capital I)

3. You will notice that gray lines appear around the border of the text box. Move your mouse slowly down within the text box to the bottom gray border until the cursor changes to the pointer icon

4. Click, hold and drag

Or, click, hold and drag the ellipses "...". Your cursor will be a finger pointing icon.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

On my side i just dont use the drag & drop. I select the visualz with the rectangle selector. After it is selected i move it with my keyboard arrows if you want to move quicker you can use shift + arrow. It is working fine everytime.

Thank you!! the elipses work for me now, every time. Haven't experienced the annoying sticky mouse pointer ridiculousness either since using this. 🙏

I take that back. Not the thank you part, but the part about the sticky mouse pointer, it just happened. Ah, well, still better than before.

Ahh 😄

That's brilliant, the ellipses are working for me, simple drag and drop, how it should be 🙂

@ABNHS84@Greg_Deckler

Well it seems that the visual header is simply hidden in the latest version.

To turn it on again and drag and drop the objects around go to 

File --> Options and Settings --> Options --> Report Settings --> Untick on 'Visual Option' the one that says Use the modern visual header with updated styling options

This worked for me. I couldn't drag anything around.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.