Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JulienF
Frequent Visitor

Is connection between Facebook graph API and POWER BI over?

Hello Data lovers! 

Since this morning I am not able anymore to make connection between Power Bi and Facebook graph api...

I have checked everything ( token, use custom query, ...) and nothing works! That strange beacause I don't recieve email anymore from facebook... I mean when I connected my page account into power Bi I always recieved a mail to say that my user facebook account was connected to Power Bi. Is it Power BI? Or 2.10 graph api ? ( 2.5 was still working yesterday in Power BI...) 

I am a bit in the mud because I work for clients and It was very usefull. Now I am back in root mode by quering the Graph api-->then export json --> to excel --> Power Bi ... It works but sometimes Json to excel data export are not accurate and also source of mistakes and it takes me like a all day compare to couples of hours with a bridge between Power Bi and Facebook graph API! 

Any tips or help? 

Thx! 

Julien 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@JulienF,

For your first screenshot, you should paste the code to the Advanced Editor rather than the current Query Editor window. Once you paste the code to Advanced Editor, you will get right data as shown in your second screenshot.
1.JPG

Besides, yes, we need to change api version when getting insights data.
2.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@JulienF,

What error message do you get when connecting to Facebook in Power BI Desktop?  I get the following error message during the connection process.
1.JPG

To solve this issue, open a new blank query in Power BI Desktop and paste the following code in Advanced Editor.

let
    Source = Facebook.Graph("https://graph.facebook.com/v2.10/pagename/posts?limit=100")
in
    Source

And I don’t get email notification saying that my Facebook account was connected to Power BI even though the connection is successful.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft Thx! 

I don't have any error message but if I paste the code you gave me in the advanced editor I am not able to fetch any data. Power Bi just copy  the code below the advanced editor window with extra # and " and nothing happen. Anyway @DataChant answered me yesterday by mp and I wrote Fx=facebook.graph... in de query editor without any let in source in the advanced editor and it works ,Robot Happy a bit strange but it works (again). I don't really understand because before I used to use the method you gave me and everythings were working fine. 

Thx for your help! 

Julien 

@JulienF,

Do you use the latest version of Power BI Desktop(2.49.4831.521)? Would you please post a screenshot about your scenario? And what is the result when you fetch data from Microsoft BI page using the following code?

let
    Source = Facebook.Graph("https://graph.facebook.com/v2.10/microsoftbi/posts?limit=100")
in
    Source

Regards,
Lydia

Yes I have the lastest version of power BI! 

So here is the response I got using your query 

biforum.PNG

Then if I only use this one it works

biforum2.PNG

To have all the insights I only have to change api version to 2.3 or 2.6 

Best,

Julien 

Hi, may i ask how do you change the facebook api ver like you mentioned?

Hello!

Sorry for the delay! I just changed it in the query as "https://graph.facebook.com/v2.9/... to https://graph.facebook.com/v2.8/..."

Enjoy!

Hi, I am Jasper. I was wondering how do you change the facebook api ver?

@JulienF,

For your first screenshot, you should paste the code to the Advanced Editor rather than the current Query Editor window. Once you paste the code to Advanced Editor, you will get right data as shown in your second screenshot.
1.JPG

Besides, yes, we need to change api version when getting insights data.
2.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Ooooops my bad!!!

But it was working before the update? no? Okay I was maybe too tired yesterday 😛 

Thx for you help

P.S. Do you have any idea how can I fetch data about audience insights form pages  I manage? 

Facebook doc is weird and I don't understand the query they give on their website... You can contact me in mp 😉 

@JulienF,

I would recommend you post the question about how to use Facebook API in Facebook community, more experts will assit you  there and you can get better answer.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.