Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is Power BI a good choice for querying detailed data?

Hello everybody,

TL;DR: I am writing this question not to ask how to do things in Power BI, but I want to know if Power BI is the right tools for querying detailed data.

Question detail:

Currently, I am developing a business intelligence solution for our company, and things seem to me that I should use the Microsoft BI solution for our needs. But the problem is: I know that Power BI's xVelosity or Azure Analysis Service tabular model are powerful engines to AGGREGATE data which can perform actions like GROUP BY, COUNT, SUM, AVG.... very fast, questions like how many/ total sum of... can be processed very efficiently. Power BI Visualization is also a amazing tool to visualize these numbers....

But I really doubt if Power BI/Azure Analysis Service is a suitable tool to QUERY DETAILED DATA. In fact, the request of my company for the BI solution (currently) is mostly about query detail data. The pattern of questions is usually like this: "Find the detail data of a transaction that is made by customer A and have been processed by the system B....". The requests are usually about "querying the detailed data" and "displaying the detailed data in table". The needs of aggregation (count, sum, avg) is still, but I feel that they (high level executives/stake holders) care more about the detailed data over aggregation.

What I am aiming for is building a system that can do both detail queries and aggregation easily and effectively. I want to eliminate the needs of data engineers or somebodies that must have a deep knowledge of SQL to involve in making a report. I want that data engineers like me just need to handle the inner core of the system such as table relationships, calculated columns and measures, other staff only need to know the very basic drag and drop...  And it seems to me that Power BI is very suitable for this need, espicially for aggregations and visualizations of aggregations...

But what about the detail queries? I have test several cases and it seems that the Power BI engine and a Star-Schema database can do the job, they can still generate the correct data and show them in table visualization (With some limitations but I think they are still acceptable). But I don't really know if I should use a engine that is optimized for AGGREGATING to QUERY detailed data. Is it a good practice? Is the performance good? I have even made some exceptions (which are clearly opposed to the star-schema best-practices) to the design of the data model, just adapt it to some patterns of requests.

Also, what I know so far, when querying data using power BI, the performer should also be aware of features like "Auto-Exists" or "Empty row removal" which may causes wrong result in some rare cases (such as mixing measures and columns from different tables in a table visualizaton). I would say, even I still fear of unintended triggering of "auto-exists" and "empty row removal". I doubt that if other people which is supposed to be "normal user" can know how to handle these cases.

Do you have any thought related to this? Any thought would be highly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AnthonyTilley

Thank for your thought.

As a main designer of my company BI solution, this problem has been torturing me since then. Especially that I have no experience in this field, I can't forecast what would happen in the future. I am scared of a day I have to bulldoze everything and build the system anew, just because it can't adapt to our needs.

To other people: Do you guys have any other thoughts? Please share it.

AnthonyTilley
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

hi @Anonymous 

i use power BI for your exact sinario and have not hit any issues.

in our company we where using a large number of excel sheets that were connected to diffirent data sources inorder to get detailed order data. this always lead to issues as some sheets would be missing one of the WHERE clauses in the query or a calculation within excel was carried out diffrently so in a lot of cases you ended up with diffrent results.

i find that the users of our new power BI reporting responeded very well to some simple online reports. by Createing a single central data set and being able to change all of the nameing convensions to easily match the companies own definitons and terms the users where able to find what they were looking for much easier 

and there are some helpful features to help avoid some of the issues you mentioned. for example to avoid users selecting incorrect dimention to measure combinations within a visual you can group your DIMs and Facts so users Know that they can be used together.

the Q&A tools are also very helpfull if you take the time to apply some good aliasis to your colunm names. this means that user can use nautral laungage to search fro results. a common example of mine is some one typing find me all the orders for customer XXX-XXX-XX that where shiped this month.

in my opinon there are many better tools for looking at detailed Data but i find that when users want to look at detailed data they will always start or finish by looking at an aggragate set of data and Power bi is good at both.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.