Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zebing2
Advocate I
Advocate I

Is Power BI Truly Interactive?

I'm trying to switch over from Tableau because of some limitations in the software, but when I pick a viz software, a key element is that the end user can interact with my final outputs. This includes not just filtering, but also choosing what fields to see on a chart and the ability to drill in multiple ways.

In Tableau, this was very easy. The parameter feature let me easily swap other measures in and out of a formula. In a table chart, I could literally choose ten different ways to group my data and place the columns side by side.

Can Power BI do this? Am I missing something? Because I've been trying for days now to get this done - I've read a 300 page book, and I still just don't know how to do this.

Yes, power BI can filter. It can do one hiearchy. But that's not enough. Can I create a line chart where I can choose what date level goes on the X axis (months vs quarters vs other), I can also choose what level to show the lines at (one line for total, 3 lines for departments, or 10 lines for the categories below that), and also simultaneously choose what the lines are on the chart (sales vs profit)?

I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this done. I can do the last one (sales vs profit), and even a hierarchy on the X axis, but not another on the Y axis (to choose what lines are shown). 

Can power BI let me dynically swap this in and out? Can it really do what we need?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DAX0110
Resolver V
Resolver V

Hi @zebing2,

I think this tutorial might be what you're looking for:

http://www.leanx.eu/tutorials/dynamic-dimensions-in-power-bi

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
DAX0110
Resolver V
Resolver V

Hi @zebing2,

I think this tutorial might be what you're looking for:

http://www.leanx.eu/tutorials/dynamic-dimensions-in-power-bi

It looks very promising. Let me give it a go when I get some time and see if I can replicate. Thanks for the reply.

Hi @zebing2,

Please mark the useful/helpful reply as answer, so more people like you get information clearly.

Thanks,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.