Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

andykmwong
Helper III
Helper III

Is Power BI Desktop Issue - Map Visualization ?

Dears,

With the Power BI Desktop with connection to SQL Server Analysis Services Database then Map Visualization function would encountered blank page even with latitute and longitude is defined in data column table under laptop cannot connec to internet either using Import or ConnectLive to on premises SQL Analysis DB.

However, it becomes fine with map location displayed when the laptop able to connect to internet.

So does map visualization capability under Power BI Desktop need the environment need connec to internet ?

Thanks 

Andy Wong

IMG_2959.JPGIMG_2960.JPG

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yes, default Power BI map visualizations use Bing Maps for geocoding. You may have some luck with the ArcGIS map visualization perhaps.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Dear smoupre,

May I know anyway to test and ensure Power BI desktop could connect to Bing Maps for geocoding ?

I use another server in intranet environemtn which could connec to internet , but also blank result for map visualization.

Thanks !

@andykmwong,

You can capture the logs when veiw your map in Power BI services by using Fiddler.

Fiddler Trace

============

1. Install Fiddler from http://www.telerik.com/download/fiddler/fiddler4 if not already done
  2. Launch fiddler, then click Tools > Fiddler Options
  3. Click the ‘HTTPS’ tab.
  4. Verify the options are set as shown in this screenshot:

111.jpg   

5. If fiddler prompts you to trust their root certificates, then click ‘Yes’.

6. Then navigate to repro the problem while fiddler is capturing traffic.

7. After the trace is captured, go to File > uncheck box next to Capture Traffic

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.