Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

majdkaid22
Helper V
Helper V

Is Group changed using If

Hi guys,

I have the below data, recording every change happen on trading account concerning the risk model, which is the represented in the (GroupCode)

Every change is recorded, and several changes can be found there for 1 single account. 

Power BI.JPG'

I need a formula to highlight the trading accounts that had a change in the their group, and precisly the last charerter is what my concern, as it's either S or X

I dont need to know how many times a change has happen, I just need to shortlist the accounts that had change ( at least once) and accounts that never had a change. 

Appreciate any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, this is a bit brute force, but I created an Enter Data query:

GroupCodes

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCg120XX01Q12c/EM0g1W0lEyNNA3MtE3MjA0U4rVwSFvTEDeiIC8IQF5AxzyERB5Q0sC8haY8iHBAQZweXMs+j2dDI1gDjA0w6UAZoIpFhuQXYAtBFEMwBaEKE6AhWEsAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [GroupCode = _t, Date = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"GroupCode", type text}, {"Date", type date}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

I then created these custom columns in DAX:

Group = LEFT([GroupCode],LEN([GroupCode])-2)

Code = RIGHT([GroupCode],1)

HasX = IF([Code]="X",1,0)

HasS = IF([Code]="S",1,0)

Then you can put Group, HasX and HasS in a table visual and potentially filter by 0's to get whatever combination that you want.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @majdkaid22,

>>I need a formula to highlight the trading accounts that had a change in the their group, and precisly the last charerter is what my concern, as it's either S or X

I agree with smoupre's point of view, you can use right function to check the last charerter. Below is the sample:

Measure:

Changed = if(COUNTROWS(FILTER(ALL(Sheet1),Sheet1[Account Number]=MAX(Sheet1[Account Number])&&RIGHT(Sheet1[GroupCode],1)<>RIGHT(LASTNONBLANK(Sheet1[GroupType],[GroupType]),1)))>0,TRUE(),FALSE())

Calculate table about accounts list:

Table = DISTINCT(SELECTCOLUMNS(Sheet1,"Account Number",[Account Number],"IsChanged",[Changed]))

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@Greg_Deckler & @v-shex-msft Thanks for your feedback.

Am not sure I made myself clear in what exactly is needed. 

You can see in the below example of Acount Number 442197 there were many changes happen on the GroupCode throughout the time from a group ends with S to a group ends with X, and vicse versa. 

This is the type of accounts that I would like to filter, where in the case of this account, it falls under IsChanged "TRUE," while if all the groupcode changes happened within Groupcodes end with S, it fall under ,IsChanged, "FALSE"

Power BI.JPG

I don't think the proposed formulas would actually achieve what am looking for? 

The formula has captured the below as "True" while it should have been "FALSE" as the account always remianed under groupcode ends with S

powerbi2.JPG

Hope you could help me further 🙂

Cheers,

Majd

OK, just so I have this straight. GroupCodes start with having an S extension. Changes happen and they continue to have the S extension. Then, for some GroupCodes, they end or something and at that point they are given an X extension. You want to identify the ones that have a change from S to X and those that never change and have all S entries and no X entries. Is that correct?

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler That is very much true Sir!

I want to identify the ones that have a change from S to X, or vice versa, and those that never change and have all S entiries or X entiries

OK, this is a bit brute force, but I created an Enter Data query:

GroupCodes

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCg120XX01Q12c/EM0g1W0lEyNNA3MtE3MjA0U4rVwSFvTEDeiIC8IQF5AxzyERB5Q0sC8haY8iHBAQZweXMs+j2dDI1gDjA0w6UAZoIpFhuQXYAtBFEMwBaEKE6AhWEsAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [GroupCode = _t, Date = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"GroupCode", type text}, {"Date", type date}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

I then created these custom columns in DAX:

Code = RIGHT([GroupCode],1)

HasX = IF([Code]="X",1,0)

HasS = IF([Code]="S",1,0)

Then you can put Group, HasX and HasS in a table visual and potentially filter by 0's to get whatever combination that you want.

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler appreciate you taking the time to demonstrate the case for me!

I know very basic info when it comes to data query. 

I opened up my Advanced Editor and tried to paste your proposed Data query, but am keep getting an error. 

Obviously am not writing the query the correct way. 

Below is my current query for meAccountHistory table.  

How should I add your query to it?

let
    Source = Sql.Databases("102.222.13.15"),
    ODS = Source{[Name="ODS"]}[Data],
    dbo_meAccountHistory = ODS{[Schema="dbo",Item="meAccountHistory"]}[Data],
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(dbo_meAccountHistory,null,"0",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"AgentAccountNumber"}),
    #"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value",null,"Unknown",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"AgentAccountName"})
in
    #"Replaced Value1"

Hi @majdkaid22,

You shouldn't add smoupre's query, it means these data is load from excel(your data is load from sql). You need to create calculate columns and create the visual.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@v-shex-msft I did that first thing, but am getting the following error for the below column when I try to create it

"An argument of function 'LEFT' has the wrong data type or has an invalid value"

I assume it's the data type of [GroupCode], but I cannot know what to change it to.

Thanks,

Majd

I believe you need GroupCode to be Text for LEFT to work. You can change the data type in either the query editor or in your DAX model.

Latest book!:

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Not entirely sure exactly what you are trying to do but a couple of things. First, if you want the last character, you could create a column like:

Column = RIGHT([GroupCode]],1)

You could also create a measure like:

Measure = VAR datemax = MAX([Date])
VAR datemin = MIN([Date])
RETURN (datemax - datemin) * 1. 

Then just filter out the 0's and you have the accounts that have changed.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors