Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mysorian
Helper I
Helper I

Is Data in error or mapping in error?

I am using US Census Data to map land and water regions in the Hawaiian Islands. I get that information in the report correctly. But I also get results from regions that are not in Hawaiian Islands although the iinformation is related to Hawaii.

Where is the problem?

http://hodentekhelp.blogspot.com/2018/03/arcgis-powerbi-is-data-wrong-or-mapping.html

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@mysorian,

ArcGIS Maps for Power BI uses the Esri World Geocoding Service to locate point features (such as addresses, United States cities, and world cities) and the Esri GeoEnrichment Service to locate boundary features (such as ZIP Codes, states, provinces, and countries).

When you directly drag name field to Location in ArcGIS map of Power BI Desktop, it is not enough for ArcGIS map to correctly guess your intent as some names may be ambiguous for ArcGIS.

In your scenario, please change location to one country as below, and if the issue still persists, I would recommend you add the latitude and longitude values in the table so that ArcGIS map  gets exact places for you.
1.JPG

Reference:
https://doc.arcgis.com/en/maps-for-powerbi/get-started/prepare-your-data.htm

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I do not seem to use the same version of Power BI as you do. I am unable to test.

@mysorian,

I use March update of Power BI Desktop, in your scenario, click "..." on the map and then "Edit", you should see Location Type .

2.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the kind reply.

You contend that
"it is not enough for ArcGIS map to correctly guess your intent as some names may be ambiguous for ArcGIS."

I feel that, "Kakaina-Kumuhau Hawaain Home Land" cannot be very ambiguous.

The other thing I notice is that probably you are using the full-blown Plus subscription. If such is the case, I think what you are saying may be true.

I am only using the free version as I do not see the screen shot you are showing. I do not have the Location Type submenu item. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors