Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is Clustering Dynamic?

When I create the Cluster in Scatter plot, is it dynamic? Meaning, as the data changes over a period of time, will it automatically find clusters and create the grouping accordingly or once I create the cluster initially, that grouping remains the same until I create a new cluster?

I hope it's the former but think it's the later. 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my answer - it's not dynamic. I created a simple worksheet and changed the numbers to see if the cluster would change. It did not. Once the grouping is created, you will have to re-run "Automatically find clusters" again to create a new grouping. I wish it was automatic. 

A workaround, for now, would be to use R or Python to create the clusters. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Which visual is it? Seems no clusters in Scatter Chart. 

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

In scatter plot

If it's Scatter Chart like below, it should be dynamic.

Is_Clustering_Dynamic

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my answer - it's not dynamic. I created a simple worksheet and changed the numbers to see if the cluster would change. It did not. Once the grouping is created, you will have to re-run "Automatically find clusters" again to create a new grouping. I wish it was automatic. 

A workaround, for now, would be to use R or Python to create the clusters. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Scatter chart itself is dynamic.. my question is about Clustering. In your chart, remove Color Name from the visual and then click on 'Automatic Clustering' by expanding the three dots (...) In the top right corner. It will identity clusters based on kmeans algorithm. My question is - the grouping that's created dynamic ? For example, in the initial Clustering power bill might put Azure, black and blue in one group because their values are close to each other. Let's call that group 1. Over a period of time, as the sales change, Blue takes off and the company sells lot of Blue widgets. Now it's no longer similar to blank and azure. Will Blue still stay in the group 1 or will it go to a different cluster and will be replaced by a different widget?

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.