Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

anselmojg
Advocate II
Advocate II

Is 'Analyze in Excel' use logged in Power BI?

We monitor the use logs of Reports published to the Power BI Service as a way to evaluate which ones are frequently used by users in the organization. This is a useful way to evaluate how much "value" these Reports provide to the business.... If some reports are rarely used, that would indicate that maybe the rollout was not effective or perhaps the value is marginal, which would question the utility of the report.

While Power BI Reports are more and more valued in the business, some users are also finding the 'Analyze in Excel' very useful as a way to complement what the Reports built on the same datasets provide... The "issue" with the 'Analyze in Excel' is that the usage is not logged anywhere I know of to determine how much/if that feature is used... The danger is that a change to the dataset or its eventual elimination may suddenly break the Excel workbooks that some folks may use with the 'Analyze in Excel' connection... And that can happen if mails announcing the change or deletion to the dataset are not reaching (or read by) everyone affected.... 

Is there any way/log in Power BI to tell how much a dataset is used, including 'Analyze in Excel' and not just Reports or Dashboards? 

Note: I have no admin role, i.e. ignore if this is a standard feature in Power BI

1 REPLY 1

Hi @anselmojg ,

it should be possible via the audit logs.

https://radacad.com/export-power-bi-audit-log-in-a-few-simple-steps-with-no-code

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.