Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thmpsne
Frequent Visitor

Irregular Survey Data: Return Count of Value in One Column based on Value in Another Column

Hi everyone, 

This is my first time posting so please forgive me if it's rough! 

I'm relatively new to PowerBI, and my DAX is very basic. In my role, we are moving toward using PowerBI to present results of university student experience surveys (social science data). These surveys are administered through Qualtrics. The surveys are very customisable, and even the pathway that a respondent takes through the survey will differ conditionally based on their unique responses (e.g. they won't get prompted to answer questions about employment if they have already indicated that they aren't employed). Thus, my dataset is highly variable.

Despite the challenges, I'm able to do most of what I want, but have continually run into the issue that I'm presenting here. 

I have unpivoted my data; prior to unpivoting, depending on respondents, there could be over 100 columns (question responses) per unique ID, for >3000 respondents. Please see a dummy and highly simplified sample below of what the data sort of looks like:

Student IDQuestion CodeResponse Value
123456789example_numberjobs2
123456789example_mainrole - Job TitleTeacher
123456789example_industryEducation & Training
123456789example_employtypeWorking for an employer
123456789example_employedoverallYes, employed at time of survey
123789456example_numberjobs2
123789456example_mainrole - Job TitleNurse
123789456example_industryHealthcare & Social Assistance
123789456example_employtypeWorking for an employer
123789456example_employedoverallYes, employed at time of survey
321654987example_employedoverallNo, not employed at survey time
456123789example_employedoverallNo, not employed at survey time
987654321example_numberjobs1
987654321example_mainrole - Job TitleCivil Engineer
987654321example_industryConstruction
987654321example_employtypeSelf-Employed
987654321example_employedoverallYes, employed at time of survey

I think I need a measure that says something like: Based on Question Code "example_industry", return the count of Response Value in the corresponding row (for each unique student ID that has answered that question). Also, in this scenario I would be looking at Count, but occasionally I would need to return the Average.

How do I write a measure to parse out responses for "example_industry"; e.g. I want to create a table like: 

Construction1
Education & Training1
Healthcare & Social Assistance1
Total3

I also know I can't just use visual level filters to solve this, as a whole dashboard of visualizations created using visual level filters doesn't 'work' - when you click and interact with one figure, each Visualization's filters contradict and no data is shown. I tried this already! 

Currently I've gotten past the need to figure out how to do this by creating separate data tables but it's becoming increasingly apparent that is not a sustainable solution. 

SOS! Please help! 

Thanks in advance 🙂 

EDIT

I used measure: 

Industry countx = COUNTX(FILTER('Employment Table', 'Employment Table'[Code]="gds_industry"), 'Employment Table'[Value]), which does work and I am able to create a bar chart of industry, but other visualisations created using measures from the same table and column 'go blank' when you click on one of the Industries, to filter the other page's visualizations... Anyway to avoid this?!
3 REPLIES 3
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @thmpsne ,

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly mark the helpful answer as a solution if you feel that makes sense. Welcome to share your own solution. More people will benefit from here.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi - No this didn't solve the issue... I realised I really need to work with the data in a pivoted format! Thanks for trying though 🙂 

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @thmpsne ,

1. You also could try the formula below.

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[Student ID]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Question Code] = "example_industry"))

1.PNG

2.  EDIT: 

I used measure: 

Industry countx = COUNTX(FILTER('Employment Table', 'Employment Table'[Code]="gds_industry"), 'Employment Table'[Value]), which does work and I am able to create a bar chart of industry, but other visualisations created using measures from the same table and column 'go blank' when you click on one of the Industries, to filter the other page's visualizations... Anyway to avoid this?!
For this scenario, you could try the feature of "Edit interactions" to set the visual none. Then the visuals will not be filtered out when click relative data. Here is the blog that you can reference.
2.PNG

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.