Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DJBrennan Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Irregular Monthly / Periodic Invoicing

Hi all,

I'm an analyst/consultant working for various clients in the area of procurement. One of our services is to provide the client with reports/dashboards showing usage and/ or charges by supply by month including all the usual time intelligence benefits like last month, last year comparisons etc....

I've begun to realise that I can't easily use standard months for comparison. An easy example is electricity bills. A bill from one supplier for Supply X may start at 01/06 and end on 310/06, a nice neat calendar month. Another supplier for Supply Y might send a bill covering usage from 12/06 to 11/07 or, perhaps a quarterly bill covering anything from 80-95 days (not very exact). I'm looking for some ideas as to how to "normalise" this data to allow reasonable month-on-month reporting. I hope this makes sense.

Many thanks in advance,

Denis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Moderator v-sihou-msft

Re: Irregular Monthly / Periodic Invoicing

@DJBrennan

In your scenario, since each supplier may have different calendar, I suggest you use Time Intelligence functions like DATESINPERIOD() or DATESBETWEEN() to specify corresponding date range into CALCULATE() with current row start date. 

Regards,

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Moderator v-sihou-msft

Re: Irregular Monthly / Periodic Invoicing

@DJBrennan

In your scenario, since each supplier may have different calendar, I suggest you use Time Intelligence functions like DATESINPERIOD() or DATESBETWEEN() to specify corresponding date range into CALCULATE() with current row start date. 

Regards,

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Topics Started Badges Coming

New Topics Started Badges Coming

We're releasing new versions of the badge that everyone's talking about. ;) Check your inbox for notifications.

MBAS 2020

Save the new date (and location)!

Our business applications community is growing—so we needed a different venue, resulting in a new date and location. See you there!

Difinity Conference

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)