Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

edwardrmiles
Helper III
Helper III

Invoking function causes "Expression.Error: We cannot convert a value of type Record to type Number"

Hi, I'm trying to create a function that will rename all columns in a table., but when I invoke the function (from both the query editor and navigation panel) I get the folliwng error:

An error occurred in the ‘fnRenameColumns’ query. Expression.Error: We cannot convert a value of type Record to type Number.
Details:
Value=Record
Type=Type

The function is:

let
    fnRenameColumns = (tableName as table) =>
let
    Source = tableName,
    ColumnNames = Table.FromList(Table.ColumnNames(Source)),
    Transform = Table.AddColumn(ColumnNames,"New Value",each Text.Upper(Text.Replace([Column1],"_"," "))),
    RenameColumns = Table.RenameColumns(tableName,Table.ToRows(Transform),[Comparer = Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase])
in
    RenameColumns
in 
    fnRenameColumns

Any ideas? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So why do you want to rename your columns, is it:

1. Because you get the error of duplicate column names, or

2. You want to rename your columns for another reason, but as a result you get duplicate column names?

In any case if you want to rename your columns so there won't be any duplicates, then you need to find some other solution for any duplicates, typically that would be adding a seqeunce number, e.g. if you have multiple "INFO CARD LINK" columns, then the first can be "INFO CARD LINK", the second "INFO CARD LINK.1", the third "INFO CARD LINK.2"  and so on.

That would require a complete different approach.

Note: in Power Query, column names are case-sensitive, but when loading the result, you'll get an error (I guess that is the error you mentioned in your previous post).

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

Technically spoken you provide a record [Comparer = Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase] as the third argument for Table.RenameColumns, where you can only provide a number: the value for MissingField.

Edit: you code works fine if you remove that third argument.

My idea would be:

let
    fnRenameColumns = (tableName as table) =>
let
    Source = tableName,
    ColumnNames = Table.ColumnNames(Source),
    Transform = List.Transform(ColumnNames, each {_, Text.Upper(Text.Replace(_,"_"," "))}),
    RenameColumns = Table.RenameColumns(tableName,Transform)
in
    RenameColumns
in 
    fnRenameColumns

Thanks, so I added that 3rd argument because when I don't use it I get this error:

An error occurred in the ‘fnRenameColumns’ query. Expression.Error: The field 'INFO CARD LINK' already exists in the record.
Details:
    Name=INFO CARD LINK
    Value=

So why do you want to rename your columns, is it:

1. Because you get the error of duplicate column names, or

2. You want to rename your columns for another reason, but as a result you get duplicate column names?

In any case if you want to rename your columns so there won't be any duplicates, then you need to find some other solution for any duplicates, typically that would be adding a seqeunce number, e.g. if you have multiple "INFO CARD LINK" columns, then the first can be "INFO CARD LINK", the second "INFO CARD LINK.1", the third "INFO CARD LINK.2"  and so on.

That would require a complete different approach.

Note: in Power Query, column names are case-sensitive, but when loading the result, you'll get an error (I guess that is the error you mentioned in your previous post).

ah, I get it now... silly error on my part.  My objective was to just to imporve the readability of column names, but that renaming has created a duplicate that I didn't originaly see.  I should have actually though about what the error message was telling me...

Your solution works perfectly and I greatly apprecaite your expert help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.