Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Invoked custom column

Hi everybody,

I'm copying from the advance editor all the steps from the file of a colleague of mine. Unfortunately, it returns me an error.

Therefore, I went backward to check alll the steps and I figured out that the second step, an invoke custom column is perceived as a normal custom column. Hence, I decided to insert a brand new step and invoke a custom column  but it looks like I cannot select the function query. Any explanations and suggestions?

2017-05-17 11_26_58-.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This video illustrates how to copy AND how it solves the issue:

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

Probably you don't have the custom function.

If you copy a query, it is better to right-click the query, choose copy, and paste in the query editor of the destination file.

This will copy/paste the query plus all related queries, like the custom function in your case.

If you copy/paste the query steps, then you will only get the query steps; not any related queries.

For now I would suggest to copy/paste the custom function as well.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @MarcelBeug,

what I did was to copy and paste the steps from the advance editor in the query editor.

As you can see from the file attached, the second step should be a Invoke custom columns but it's not.

2017-05-17 11_51_11-Business Review Tool_V2 - Query Editor.png

That is exactly what I tried to explain: because you didn't copy the function, the step isn't recognized as a step in which a custom function is invoked.

And that is why you get the error message, because "Transform File from ESDS (2)" doesn't exist

So just go back to your colleague and copy his "Transform File from ESDS (2)" function and paste it in your file.

Anonymous
Not applicable

THanks @MarcelBeug, how do I copy it?

This video illustrates how to copy AND how it solves the issue:

Anonymous
Not applicable

What if I have no option to copy the function from anywhere? What should be my best practice then?

Create it from scratch?

Seriously: what do you mean exactly:

do you have no access to the source code, or

are you not allowed to copy, or

is there no source code at all?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the same error when I started from scratch. How do I get access to source code?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you find a way to fix this ? I'm getting the same error when I'm trying to create from the scratch .

What are you trying to do and what is the error message?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.