Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DanWMG

Invert Y Axis

Hi All,

I'm wanting to use Power BI for Google Analytics and website ranking reports. 

One of the crucial parts that I'm struggling with is the Rankings line graph. Basically, in order to make the graph look positive, I need to invert the Y axis so that 0 is at the top and 100 is at the bottom. (A position of 1 is the best)

I can't seem to find any way of doing this.. In Excel you would simply reverse the axis but this option doesn't seem to be available in PowerBi.

Could anyone advise on how this could be achieved? 

Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

There is currently no option to invert the Y axis in your chart. Best workaround would be to multiply your values by -1.

Please leave a vote for this feature in our UserVoice forum:

https://support.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi/category/91861-desktop

Thanks,
M.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
NotMyJob
Helper II
Helper II

This is still unresolved for such a simple capability?  Excel does this at a beginning beginning level!

This was resolved months ago....

invert.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

That's for numerical data only.  I'm using text that I want to sort.

NotMyJob_0-1661171768714.png

Which visual are you using with text values for the y-axis?

Paul on Linkedin.

I am using a stacked bar chart.

This was working before (I believe), however got blown out due to some assistance from a coworker.  

I figured out an oddity (at least to me) in that when I rearrange the X axis order in Visualizations, THAT rearranges the listing.  So it doesen't seem that it's pulling from the data table.  Like I said, I'm just starting to learn PBI, so bear with me if you would :), esp when/if I get terminology mixed up.

In that case use the sorting order in the actual visual, under the ellipsis:

Final1.gif

Paul on Linkedin.

Thanks for following on with this, and yes, I see them.  However...  for Descending order:

NotMyJob_0-1661187714343.png

For Ascending order:

NotMyJob_1-1661187772787.png

I'm just baffled... 

Ideas?

Again, thanks for the assist on this.  It just doesn't make any sense

In that case, establish the order in the (dimension?) table using a sorting column ("order"), sorting the column by the order you have established,

Sort.gif

and the order integrity will be maintained in the visual:

Final111.gif

Paul on Linkedin.

Are you talking in the table view?  if so...

NotMyJob_0-1661189848681.png

So that's already established there.  I don't know what a dimension table is... and so now to add more to what I need to know more about 🙂  Is what I referenced is a 'Fact' table?  I'm not sure how to add a dimension table...  more youtube videos I guess...

Ideally you should be working with dimension tables (Best practices). The problem is that this field is a text field, so regardless of the apparent order you see, it may not actually be the order sorted as a text column.

Having said that, check that when you are sorting you have selected the actual field and not the value. 
To get an order column, go into Power Query and add an index column (it take it the Audit/project field contains unique values?) under Add Column > Index. Use the index column to sort the field by in the table view (as per my first gif in my previous reply)

Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any update on this issue? It has been almost one year since the latest post in this thread... 

@Anonymous 

Here is one way of reversing the Y-Axis:

Reversing the Y-axis 

Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I found a solution to this problem.

To make the graph look positive , we can make a measure for the values and then multiply it with -1.

Then download a "multiple axis chart - XViz" and drag your measure into the values section. This will display an inverted chart but will show the data as negative values.

To change this go to number format and turn on semantic formatting.

Change the negative value format and positive value format to (X). You can change their colours as well. This will now show the values without the negative sign.

Regards Aman

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your solution @Anonymous, 

Now it's even easier using Multiple Axis Chart- xViz, as they added a new function to 'Reverse Axis', please see the screenshot below for navigation: 

AndrejBI_0-1600159845155.png

Edit: Darn, the visual is paid

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. the -1 multiplication was normal but changing the representation was clever. Thanks. Its not a solution but its good enough while we wait ( somewhat impatiently ) for a product fix. Thanks

RyanBentham
Kudo Commander
Kudo Commander

I had a similar requirement a few months ago and have recently pushlished the R-Script visual that I developed.  Hopefully if can help you guys 

Here's the link:  https://community.powerbi.com/t5/R-Script-Showcase/Inverted-Y-Axis-with-Constants/m-p/671961

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any recent updates ? This is proving to be a major annoyance. The -1 solution "works" but wildly clumsy.  Thanks

mussol_
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi DanWMG

I have the same problem and, although it is not the ideal solution, I added to the chart two lines, one as a Maximum Value and the other with the minimum Value and I called them as "WORST" and BEST". The Visual looks like the image. Hope it will help you. Regards, Josep

Captura.PNG

Jmenas
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi @mllopis,

Have they implemented this? if yes where can you do it? 
Is there a custom visual that can do the same? 

Best,

Jorge

There is no solution as of now but you can do it by multiplying your Y-axis dimension with -1 and call it [dimension name (inv)] or something like this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors