Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Capstone
Resolver I
Resolver I

Inventory Calculation

Capture.PNG

I need to make a fairly simple calculation involving time intelligence measures but Im struggling with it. Bascially in Excel the calculation is as follows:

Monthly Inventory(C19) = Opening stock (C17) + Current period accumulated (C18) - Current period depleted (C4)

= 375000 +839699 -  713425

= 501,274

The data starts from January 2017 and hence C17 is fixed for that month.

For the next period onwards the calculation is (for example D19)

D19 = D18 + Inventory at end of last month(C19) - D4 

= 702182 +501274 - 644384 

= 559072

I have a date table with all dates ranging from 01/01/2017 to 31/12/2025 and the Years, months, quarters to go with it. And a Facts table which is connected to the Date table with the Date column. I just want the monthly change in inventory, so was wondering what is the best way to go about it ?

Abhi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I managed to solve it. This is how I did it. I defined a measure which gave me the first month of the data

00_MinMonthIndex = Min('Date'[MonthIndex])

Using this I calculcalated a measure for opening inventory

01_Opening Pit Inventory At Start = If([00_MinMonthIndex] =1,375000,0)

I then calculated monthly inventory change as

02_ Inventory change = [00_Opening Pit Inventory At Start] + FactTable(Current period accumulated) - FactTable(Current period depleted)

Finally got the cumulative inventory

03_Total Inventory = CALCULATE (
[02_Inventory change],
FILTER (
ALL ( 'Date'[Date]),
'Date'[Date] <= MAX ( ( 'Date'[Date] ) )))

It took me a while to arrive at the solution because I was focussed on time intelligence formulas but in the end it was just a basic cumulative calculation which did the trick.

Abhi

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Capstone,

Could you post the structure of your facts table with some sample data? So that we can help with the measure.Smiley Happy

Regards

I managed to solve it. This is how I did it. I defined a measure which gave me the first month of the data

00_MinMonthIndex = Min('Date'[MonthIndex])

Using this I calculcalated a measure for opening inventory

01_Opening Pit Inventory At Start = If([00_MinMonthIndex] =1,375000,0)

I then calculated monthly inventory change as

02_ Inventory change = [00_Opening Pit Inventory At Start] + FactTable(Current period accumulated) - FactTable(Current period depleted)

Finally got the cumulative inventory

03_Total Inventory = CALCULATE (
[02_Inventory change],
FILTER (
ALL ( 'Date'[Date]),
'Date'[Date] <= MAX ( ( 'Date'[Date] ) )))

It took me a while to arrive at the solution because I was focussed on time intelligence formulas but in the end it was just a basic cumulative calculation which did the trick.

Abhi

Hi @Capstone,

Great to hear the problem got resolved! Could you accept your reply as solution to help others who may have similar issue easily find the answer and close this thread?Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.